Please help sex my peafowl!

:) Thank you. I should have mentioned - the breeder has no Spaldings, so we can probably rule that out. She said she thinks this may be an India Blue White Eye, which she does have. What about the crest looks Spaldingish?  The crest does tilt to one side, but my hens' combs can do that sometimes, so I was hoping that's okay. 

Spalding peafowl usually have a tight crest. Indian peafowl have a fanned crest. Depending on how much percentage of Green peafowl blood they have. Some Spaldings are more obvious than others.

I thought I'd jump in here and ask for some educated advice. The advice may be "No way to tell, too young," of course. I hatched this sweet peachick late August, so we are at just six weeks, now. I read something about being able to tell by rusty colour on the flight feathers... but this peababy has white flight feathers. There was also something about barring on the shoulders, but is that at a later time? Any input is humbly welcomed. Pic 1 - Little P loves dustbaths. you can see the flight feathers and back pretty well, here. Pic 2 - almost 6 weeks. Crest is taller and head is speckled Peababy in the barn. I love this bird so much [/URL]
I thought I'd jump in here and ask for some educated advice. The advice may be "No way to tell, too young," of course. I hatched this sweet peachick late August, so we are at just six weeks, now. I read something about being able to tell by rusty colour on the flight feathers... but this peababy has white flight feathers. There was also something about barring on the shoulders, but is that at a later time? Any input is humbly welcomed. Pic 1 - Little P loves dustbaths. you can see the flight feathers and back pretty well, here. Pic 2 - almost 6 weeks. Crest is taller and head is speckled Peababy in the barn. I love this bird so much [/URL]
@Birdrain92 is correct that chick has green blood in it.The crest, beak, and barring pattern is what gives it away. It could take a while longer before one can definitely sex this chick visually because green blood changes the usual indicators when compared to India Blues. Post more pics in a few weeks and lets see where we are at with the looks. Your chick is indeed healthy and oh so pretty,
1f44d.png
. Gerald Barker

One of my Indian Blue chicks from this year. One month old in the photo.

2 month old Indian Blues. See the crest makes a fan shape.

@Birdrain92 is correct that chick has green blood in it.The crest, beak, and barring pattern is what gives it away. It could take a while longer before one can definitely sex this chick visually because green blood changes the usual indicators when compared to India Blues. Post more pics in a few weeks and lets see where we are at with the looks. Your chick is indeed healthy and oh so pretty,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker
Goodness, thank you both @Birdrain92 and @barkerg ! I hope it doesn't get too cold here for a partly-green pea. It does get down to the mid 30s at night in December, and my barn is not heated. I appreciate the helpful and informed advice and I shall wait a few weeks and post more pics. So glad to hear s/he is looking healthy. I adore this little bird, who loves to sit on my head and eat greens from my hand. And to run circles around the chicken chicks!

See you in a few weeks.

One last note! Since I love learning from people who know so much... Here are pics of possible mums and dads for my little P. They were on the breeder's page, and show her flock.

Thinking about what you told me, I seem to see narrower crests on the peahens. Are those part green peafowl, then?

Her listing said: "These birds are kept together and chicks have been white, black shoulder, blue. white eyed and occasionally pied. My flock has 2 India blue hens,4 white hens, 2 black shouldered hens. There are more peacocks than peahens. The boys are India blue, black shouldered, white and one white eyed x purple. Chicks could be any of these colors!" - I know we are now talking about coloring and not sex of the chick, but these things seem to be linked.

Goodness, thank you both @Birdrain92
 and @barkerg
!  I hope it doesn't get too cold here for a partly-green pea. It does get down to the mid 30s at night in December, and my barn is not heated.  I appreciate the helpful and informed advice and I shall wait a few weeks and post more pics. So glad to hear s/he is looking healthy. I adore this little bird, who loves to sit on my head and eat greens from my hand. And to run circles around the chicken chicks!

See you in a few weeks. 

They're low enough Spaldings the weather won't be an issue if they can get out of the elements.

One last note! Since I love learning from people who know so much... Here are pics of possible mums and dads for my little P. They were on the breeder's page, and show her flock. Thinking about what you told me, I seem to see narrower crests on the peahens. Are those part green peafowl, then? Her listing said: "[COLOR=421E6C]These birds are kept together and chicks have been white, black shoulder, blue. white eyed and occasionally pied. My flock has 2 India blue hens,4 white hens, 2 black shouldered hens. There are more peacocks than peahens. The boys are India blue, black shouldered, white and one white eyed x purple. Chicks could be any of these colors!" - I know we are now talking about coloring and not sex of the chick, but these things seem to be linked.[/COLOR]
In these photos issue three peafowl that are probably Spaldings. Two are in the second photo. The one with grey and the one with the black laced shoulders seem Spalding like. Tight crest. In the first photo the male on the far right is also Spalding like. Tight crest again.

8 weeks, now - probably still too early to tell if this will be a peahen or a peacock. There is black/sable feathering showing up on the top of the head and on the neck. Flight feathers are white and rust. Today, instead of just saying "whee, whee," Little P is also honking!

Do males and females both honk? It is very cute.

I shall post pics again in another couple of weeks, or when I notice any changes. Thank you, all!

Back
Top Bottom