Please Review This Coop

I'm sorry. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here (i apologize if your name is Debbie
1f606.png
) but this isn't exactly the best coop in the world. They are small and wont last. Coons, foxes, and even a willful skunk could easily make short work of it. It is a good starter coop for chicks, but I wouldn't keep my hens in it. Sorry.

I had a very similar coop for my hens when I first started chicken keeping and I loved it! As far as design goes - it's big enough, it looks nice etc.
HOWEVER: I would remove the ramp - it takes up space and the chickens have no problem jumping up into the bedroom.
Also honestly I would just HIGHLY recommend plastic coops over wooden ones any day because they are so much easier to clean
and less likely to be infested by mites (which are a HUGE problem for a lot of people with wooden coops, myself included).
My wooden coop served me well for many years but eventually became overrun by mites and damp so I replaced it with a plastic one.
Both my chickens and I are SO MUCH happier now!! You can buy a plastic bedroom for them and still have a wooden/wire coop! :D

I too had considered that coop, thinking was good enough. Almost bought one but after research and seeing one in a store I stepped back - bought a $15 plan for garden shed, modify and redesigned it inside and out on paper. Mind you I was not a good drawer, nor a handy man. I'm in sales and a traveler by trade. All I know, I want something easy maintenance for myself and comfortable for chickens since it's my first try with animals keeping (product of impulse chick buying).
I was glad I built my own, learned a lot and since then added more chicken (chicken math fever hit my wife) the one who didn't want any pets since we have small kids.

Get a garden shed kit and modify it into a coop...you need to be able to walk in and move around...plus it will give your birds plenty of space...when you put up roosts be sure if you use 2x4s to position them so you birds can perch on the wide side...it lets them relax and in the cold they can set down on top of their feet to keep them warm...I would never waste my money on a "Doll House Coop" they are cute, but don't ever seem to have enough room for more then 2 to 3 Bantams...a good thing to remember is that in their natural habitat chickens would be ranging over a rather large area...with bushes and trees...if you want happy birds..you need to give them as much room and variety in the run or pen as possible...busy birds are happy birds...bored birds will take their boredom out on each other....the coop can be more static..for convenience, collecting eggs...cleaning...but let your mind run free and give them an ever changing "Playground" in the run...move the feeders around and the waterers....add a stump...some logs..perches at various heights...make it fun for them...you won't regret it...sorry I get going and my mind runs away with me...

Well it sounds like what I was suspicious of, nice but not up to the job.
So suggestions/recommendations of prefab coops (brand/motors that are good? I'm extra curious about the plastic ones too. I didn't know they made them in plastic.

I really hate that there is no place to look that has built ones to look at in person. Oh well.

Can you add your location so folks around you can help you find the right place to look?

For example there is a gent in the state I am in that builds coops and advertises on Craigs list. His prices are reasonable and his coops are nice and sturdy. If I were inclined to buy one I would be looking for his ad.

Here is his ad if anyone in Colorado is looking.
big_smile.png

http://denver.craigslist.org/grd/5140142901.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom