Please Review This Coop

Lcbrent

Hatching
Apr 17, 2015
So I've been looking at getting into backyard chickens for quite some time. I'm still at least a year out but if I run across good buys on the essentials why not buy and store for that happy day? I was in Tractor Supply Company today and they had these pre-manufactured (assemble at home) small coops on clearance:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/precision-pet-products-tsc-hen-house-coop-green-white
Or you can try: google tractor supply and sku: 109910099

My question: What do you seasoned hen keepers think of it?
I intend on only having max 4 hens. I don't need more than that. My practical side will keep the number no bigger. Its rarely cold in the winter but we do get occasional ice storms that are very bad and I want a flock small enough to keep in the garage for a week or two if i need to for nasty weather. (Middle TN)

I intent on adding a very long fully enclosed run (6'x8'x30') for daytime enjoyment. Overkill but I like my big back yard, so I think they should have one too. ~feel free to put your two cents in on this if you think its a bad idea and why.

So any thoughts on this would be great. I don't know enough about chicken coops but I know plenty about the wild variety in spectrum of people posting reviews.

Side note. The coop is marked down 50% I think, so its very affordable, but not worth it if its not a good product. I really dont want to build a coop, I'm not prepared for it and we don't have any woodworking tools or joint desire to dive into a project neither of us know anything about. So that said I'll keep hunting for a good coup and just save up if I need to.

Thanks for any input you can share!

Welcome to BYC!

The design is good, with easy to access areas, sturdy wire, and a nice looking paint-job. Just thought I would add hens in it will get bored so the larger run will make them very happy, healthier and friendlier.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Best of luck finding your dream chickens!
smile.png

Ok so I disagree with the other responders. I have seen this coop in person. It is cheaply made. By that I mean the materials used are VERY thin and not durable for even one season.

Personal opinion is that if you cannot or do not wish to build a sturdy coop yourselves that you should perhaps hire someone to do it for you.

The coop you linked to is also overstated as to how many it can hold. It is very very small. You also cannot walk into that run. If a chicken is under the coop and injured or sick you have to crawl through the run to get to it. NOT a fun thing for sure. I cannot imagine myself getting in there on my hands and knees to go under the ramp and under the coop to try and pick up a sick hen and get back out.

It is only 2.5 feet wide and 6.5 feet long INCLUDING run and nest box area. Way tiny for even 2 full size hens.

That is my 2 cents on this coop.

Babs

x2! I've seen these coops, and they are useless. Build something, or have one built. Garden sheds work very well with modifications, can be multipurpose, and are built much better. Mary

So, looking at coops, I have found that when the description says it will hold "2 - 4" chickens, they are talking 2 full-size, max, or 4 bantams. If you are looking at Bantams, this will hold 4, but otherwise it will be too small. I would also be very concerned about the lack of pitch in the roof design. Rain will not run off the roof properly, and I can only imagine what snow would do... That said, if you are planning to keep this in your garage, or in another location that is protected from rain and snow, it might work. I would look carefully at the design while assembling it to see where it might require bolstering (for example, a lot of these pre-fab coops with the pull out trays can benefit from having an extra beam of wood to support the tray from underneath to prevent sagging) and improved predator-proofing, and would definitely recommend some additional waterproofing, including on the inside to protect the wood... Not saying that all pre-fab coops are bad, mind you (our coop is a pre-fab, because like you, we didn't have the tolls/time/know-how to tackle building one), but you really have to look closely at the measurements of the inside living area (not counting nest boxes) and make sure it is sufficient; and assess the design carefully. Then, plan to make modifications anyway... :)

I have a pre made coop it has worked well for my needs it is very small I only had 3 chickens at the time and that is all its big enough for I've since built another coop from pallets because I wanted more chickens

I bought this coop for my four chickens because of a recommendation from a chicken farmer. I thought he would be more like to upsale me, so I didn't really think about it much. But it is way too small! Its working ok for us now because they have a huge run, but I'll need to add on to it before winter. I do not recommend it if you have four chickens.

x2! I've seen these coops, and they are useless. Build something, or have one built. Garden sheds work very well with modifications, can be multipurpose, and are built much better. Mary

I've always loved the Garden Shed idea, as my chickens love perching up as high as they can get, and sheds allow you to be able to stand up straight in the coop. Very useful if you are caring for them during cold, wet, or windy weather.

I am a newbie but here are my thoughts. I bought this plan from Tractor Supply co.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gonegreen-terrace-4-6-chicken-capacity

It was great in the beginning, good starter coop (it has now been moved to my garage to be used for baby chicks before they go out to the coop I just built) The fir wood in which those coops are made of expands from moisture (sprinklers, rain, and snow) so some afternoons after it rained or my sprinklers had been on the door would swell up and I could not close it. I live in Utah so with the hope of not freezing my poor birds in the middle of winter and the fact that I have more chickens then I originally planned (wanted 2, have 7 now and plan to get a couple more). It took two days and I built a new chicken house. It cost me just over $300.00 (50.00 more than the prefab) to build myself and I now have something that will last a lot longer, is more sturdy, and easier to clean out than what I had previously bought (mainly out fear of my lack of skill/understanding of tools).

Back
Top Bottom