Plugged up pullet??? Help please.

aimee

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2007
Lake WaConDa, NE
One of my 2 week old pullets is having problems pooping. At first I thought it was just pasty butt but I wiped it away with a damp towel and notice she was trying to go but nothing was really coming out and the area looks enlarge. I haven't really looked at what size it's supposed to be but it seems large.

What can I do to help her out?

Okay, thanks. I'll have to run to the store and pick some up.

Should I separate her from the other two or will they be fine together? She's acting fine, eating, drinking, and running around. I didn't want to stress her out if I didn't need to.

One of my RIR pullets has had this exact problem for the last 4 or 5 days. She passes poo, but she strains very very hard and it extends her vent tissue at least a 1/2 inch off her butt, making the area raw and painful looking. Once she is "done" with a bout of this, her vent looks OK but still swollen.

The molasses has worked a little bit, as did running her butt under warm water for while, but nothing has cured it and she is noticeably smaller than the other chicks her age. I fear that her chronic constipation is affecting her growth and/or nutrient absorption. She is now three weeks old.

The other chicks (I have 7 others) do not seem to care about her problem- I've observed no picking of her vent or anything else unpleasant.

If anyone has a good answer to how to fix this, I am very interested!

(Oh yeah- and I tried separating her from the other chicks and she screeched non-stop for a few hours. I decided it was not worth it after that, and put her back in.)

-MTchick

Last edited:
OK, I was thinking.....a few years ago...my Pomeranian had 4 pups, but sadly momma passed away 2 days after giving birth. I was haveing to hand raise these little pommies...and was haveing a hard time getting the to poo. My vet recommended giving them EACH a teaspoon of Honey. Now, these little pommies were all MAYBE 1 pound each. I thought it was too much, but trusted the vet, and it worked. My vet is an old timer, and most of the time he will rely on mother nature cures. Maybe this would work with chickens?? Not too sure...might want to ask your vet tho.
hmm.png

It sounds like something close to what my week old chick had last week. Her vent was extended, swollen and red and all she did was stand with her little head and wings down. When I examined her and gently pulled her vent area back towards her body I could see a hardened poo plug inside. I soaked her bottom in warm water, then my hubby took a Q-tip and special tiny metal stick (that he made in his shop) and carefully worked out piece by piece. We would repeat this 3-4 times til we got it all, since the soaking would bring more forward each time. I then lathered her vent with Neosporin for two days to prevent infection. She too, was alot smaller than the other chicks from not eating, but she's making up for lost time now! She'll probably be my best layer! Good luck with your baby!

I went into town and bought some molasses for her. The one time she pooped when I saw her it looked a lot better but I'm going to keep watching her.

This is my first time with chicks so I'm like a first time Mom and scared about anything different.

Back
Top Bottom