Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
Hi there --

I've got bantam rock hens in Columbian, silver-penciled, and barred -- plus bantam barred roos. I think they're all very cute!
smile.png

Yard full o' rocks :

Morning all!!

Wooooo Hoooooo......got my first Columbian Rock egg this morning. Kinda small, but very dark brown with a few "freckles". It was laid where the silkies typically lay, but definitely a different egg. DW has camera so I can't take a pix. Oh well....

I should be able to offer hatching eggs by late summer/early fall. My cockerels are a few weeks away from close to "mature", but I have 2 of them that are looking to be fantastic. Great size, almost perfect coloring. Their legs aren't as "golden yellow" as I would like, but it seems the ones with better leg color are smaller and no where near the feather coloring.

Everything I have read about the Columbian pattern on Rocks says that the male imprints the color pattern so it is best to select for color first, then size. The females are supposed to be the ones to imprint "type".

Get your 'bators cleaned up and ready!!!

That's what i have read to, I am not shore if i will stick with CR or sell them and get Light sussex. My Rocks are about 4 mouths old now, and growing relley fast.​

Yard full o' rocks :

Everything I have read about the Columbian pattern on Rocks says that the male imprints the color pattern so it is best to select for color first, then size. The females are supposed to be the ones to imprint "type".

Scott,
I did not know that. Is it like this for others as well, or just the Columbian pattern on Rocks? This is very interesting. So, if the females imprint type ... would you be more likely to keep the larger females? Whereas, in the males, you would keep the best color pattern instead of size?

BTW, please add me to your list for eggs! How about Barred Rocks ..... can you put me on your list for them, too? ! !
tongue.png

I love my Barred Rocks too! They do have the most personality!!

here is one of mine as a baby, her name is Esther
smile.png

54997_esther.jpg

She is now 20 weeks old and we are patiently waiting for her first egg!!
pop.gif

Scott, CONGRATS on your first Columbian egg! Columbian pattern is my absolute FAVORITE chicken color pattern! I've often dreamed of having only Columbians, in several different breeds! Maybe some day...

curious if any of you BR owners find your BR's a little more dominant/mean than the rest of your birds.....we just added some speckled sussex to our flock, and our BR girls insist on letting them know who's boss.....the BO's still have to occasionally let them know when they're around but less so than the BR's. just curious if others see the same.

Dominant yes, mean no. My BR is definitely standoffish. She's not the top of the pecking order though. Now my RIR, she's mean to new chickens but a sweety to people.

Back
Top Bottom