Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
My "rocks" all the colors, can be a little dominant at times although my Delawares dish it right back. I think its just a "pecking order" thing. My rocks are by far more friendly with people than most other breeds other than my Delawares....those Delawares are just "lap chickens"

Quote:
I'll take your silver penciled rocks off your hands when that day comes!
lau.gif

Hey, you just never know! It MAY happen! And, I can't think of a sweeter person for them to go to!

Quote:
We want pictures!

Heck, it looks like I haven't taken pics of the rocks for about a year now!

Here's a couple of old pics -- I'll try to get new ones in the next few days!

chick3--06-18-09--4small.jpg
Columbianpullet--09-09-09--1small.jpg

Quote:
I'll take your silver penciled rocks off your hands when that day comes!
lau.gif

Hey, you just never know! It MAY happen! And, I can't think of a sweeter person for them to go to!

lau.gif
I'm not even picky, I'll even take your Marans.
gig.gif

Kelly, you're cracking me up - now stop that - my bladder is FULL!

So, I'm SO excited! Tonight, I pick up my Dick Horstman babies! Only 4 out of 12 hatched (shelleyb1969 - Michelle) hatched them for me, but I was on vacation last week & uber-busy. I'm meeting Michelle tonight. I'll post pics tomorrow! I just absolutely can't wait to watch them grow out! They do seem to take forever to get their gorgeous penciling in, so it'll be awhile before I'll know if they're "breed pen worthy" but here's hoping!
fl.gif

Wynette....I'd be interested to know something about the SP Rocks you get from Dicks birds. The BRs and CRs I have gotten from "breeders" seem to have a slow feathering gene. And I mean REALLY slow. I have 2 BRs that are 10 weeks old that have JUST finally gotten feathers down the center of their backs.

Same happened with the CRs. Seemed to affect the cockerels a little more than the pullets. I have 2 cockerels, at age 14 weeks old, who still have nothing but fuzz/fluff right down the center of their backs. I am told that this is a DESIREABLE trait (I don't recall exactly why)

More curious than anything....

Thanks

Scott

I'll watch for that, Scott. I don't know as I'd say slow feathering is a desirable trait; I know that some of the well-bred Orps have that, too, and it's my impression that the Orp breeders are working to breed that gene OUT. If I recall correctly, it arises when doing excessive line breeding, which can be good...and obviously can be bad. Strengthens the good traits, but causes other issues such as this. I'll watch these ones closely & get good photos to document! Thanks for mentioning it.

Quote:
AWE!!! Thanks, Kathy! What a sweet thing to say!

I have LF, and was wanting another line to strengthen fertility/hatchability, but they are super hard to find (at least really nice ones). I found a few breeders I'm "told" have super nice stock, but none of them have been willing to send me pics or anything.....so frustrating! I actually never saw pics of the parent stock for Dick's line, either, so I took a chance...figure, if they're not what I'm looking for, I can always sell them. But, I've heard good things, so here's hoping!

Back
Top Bottom