Plymouth Rock thread!

Pics
I have four, 7 week old BR's, but this one is my favorite.

20764_june_2010_battle_ships_126.jpg

20764_june_2010_battle_ships_136.jpg

I love their personalities.

Quote:
I thought I told you that in an email? I have pencileds from three other sources besides the few I hatched from the eggs I got from you. The birds pictured are Horstman's blood, but I got them from somewhere else.

44197_img_0546.jpg

44197_img_0539.jpg

The male has better type, but it was dark in the building they were in and the flash would only work certain ways because of the outside light and I couldn't get him to stand still.

I'm new to all of this, and I got different chicks. A buff orpington, cochins, australorps, and barred plymouth rocks. I have to say that my little striped babies are VERY sweet and docile. I had thought the cochins would be more like that from everything I read, but they are the most jumpy right now. My chicks are only 6 and 4 weeks old, so I guess their personalities are still developing.
Quote:

Yard full o' rocks :

Rock N' Faverolles :

Yard full o' rocks :

I'm just REALLY, REALLY glad to see some BYC'ers getting involved with some of the more rare color patterns in rocks:

Blue
Columbian
Silver Penciled

I think we really need someone to step up, find a mentor and get something going with the Buff, Partridge and White Rocks (I am running out of room here for anything else and DW has threathened me with "monk-ship" if I build any more coops/pens). I love my chickens, but celibacy???!!!! Forget it!

Well, I am working with Barred, Blue, Columbian, Partridge and Silver Pencileds. Plus I'll be getting some Buffs again this fall. White Rocks do need help, even though there are a lot shown. Most don't have any body to them any more. They are a bunch of feathers only. Plus they are getting too big. This may open a can of worms, but I think breeders need to start weighing their birds. Rocks are supposed to be 9 1/2 pounds, but I've seen some 12 pounds and heavier and that is not what they are to be.

David

David

IF you can say, where did your CRs come from? I was FINALLY able to obtain some this year from Jerry Powell. Looks like I got 12 cockerels and 6 pullets. I also kept 3 of the pullets I hatched from the "hatchery parents". Just to see what the breeding outcome is if bred to a really strong roo.

I also have BRs from K Shafer and T Wheeler. Whites from T Wheeler and blues that originated with Halo here on BYC.

Would love to see pix of your bunch

Thanks

Scott​

The ones I have came from Jerry as well. My other two sources didn't pan out this year. I may try to get some blood from them late this fall or next year if I can. At this time, I would rather not say their names.

David​

Here are a few more pics

The blue has a lot of brassiness but he has good 'Rock' type.
44197_img_0552.jpg

A black hen. Okay in type and color, but she's been with the males too long.
44197_img_0403.jpg

One of my Partridge males. He has good type but he wouldn't stand still. I always seem to have that problem.
44197_img_0550.jpg

David

Thanks for the pix!! The whole "type" thing has always been a bit confusing to me. However, seeing your birds, especially the cockerels, helps me a LOT! My CRs (esp the cockerel bunch) are nearing 16 weeks old. I think its time for me to start identifying the "best of the best" and getting rid of the rest. A lot of "mock fighting" has begun so I guess the hormones are beginning to flow just a bit. I have 12 to pick from.

Aside from the brassiness you describe in your blue roo, he is a handsome boy. REALLY long back and tail not too high like I have on some of mine. I have a really nice splash roo growing out. I hope to be putting him with my blue girls this Fall. Gonna be using some OLD lines of BRs and Whites to improve the size and type of my blues

Per the SOP, tails in roosters should be medium in length & held at 30 degrees; to me, "medium" means well balanced to the body - not excessively long, nor short. Sort of...matching the body in overall appearance. Yes?

Quote:
Wynette...thats a GREAT question. SOP leaves way too much to qualitative judgement in my opinion. "Medium length" means what exactly? From looking at the pictures (what most rock breeders keep telling me to do) it would "appear that the proper tail is between 1/3 and 1/2 the length of the body (in my estimation)

I wonder if we have any "Judges" that can help us here

Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:
I thought I told you that in an email? I have pencileds from three other sources besides the few I hatched from the eggs I got from you. The birds pictured are Horstman's blood, but I got them from somewhere else.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44197_img_0546.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44197_img_0539.jpg

The male has better type, but it was dark in the building they were in and the flash would only work certain ways because of the outside light and I couldn't get him to stand still.

Hey, David! I wasn't sure this was the same David I was thinking it might be...so glad to see you on BYC!

It was unfortunate your hatcher missed that second layer of hatching eggs in the shipping box, because you'd have had even more little fuzz-butts from me!! It's great that you have three breed lines now!

I'm really hoping to get a nice cockerel from my Horstman babies. At 10 days old, it's way too soon to tell, but it's very interesting - they are MUCH lighter than the chicks from my stock that I hatch. Your Horstman stock looks really nice, David - are they good sized? Did you notice the difference in chick color too?

Scott, with judgiing, it really seems to be fad-ish in how they judge - at least from what I've seen - which makes our job as breeders much more difficult!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom