Plymouth Rock thread!

Even the "big names" started somewhere. They didn't start out as names that folks drop to impress others. Every breeder starts out with someone else's birds and tweaks and culls and develops his own line, if he's serious.

Frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of you constantly attempting to berate me and my flock between the lines.  If you wish to discuss this further, please take it to PM rather than polluting this fine thread, or, just find a new hobby.

I will keep the hobby I currently have. That is breeding my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks to the Standard to the best of my ability. I wish you the best of luck in your future breeding. I agree with you it is time to focus on moving the breed forward not just one line. :) And like I said I wish you the best. :)

Here is a old photo for the history nuts out there like me. The tail set is a little high but she looks to be of good size.

fig_47_zps4e1d4938.jpg

Here is a old photo for the history nuts out there like me. The tail set is a little high but she looks to be of good size.

fig_47_zps4e1d4938.jpg

Seeing the old photos are really cool. Love the front end of this bird, but that tail...yikes, high and obviously pinched. I would bet a lot that when you handled that bird she was very narrow and closed up in back end and wasn't a very good producer. Quite a lot of fluff for a Rock too. Just goes to show that even back in the old days they had issues too! LOL Sometimes I think a lot of us get lost in "The Golden Age of Poultry" and forget that they had major issues to fight just as we do today.

To my Rock Breeding friends......

I have come to know many of you (some only via threads, BYC and the internet) but I think breeding chickens is like any other hobby (hunting, softball, baseball, fishing, snow skiing, golf, etc), the hobby would not be the same without the PEOPLE that you meet and that become a part of your lives.

Please help me to keep that in mind as we raise our fowl....and please remind me if I'm falling away from that premise.

Its not just the hobby, but the people you meet, befriend, encourage, help, work with, partner to learn, etc that make the hobby the fun that it is

Sometimes I think the "manusha" gets in the way, but to my friends, please help me to be mindful of how and why we do this

To my Rock Breeding friends......

I have come to know many of you (some only via threads, BYC and the internet) but I think breeding chickens is like any other hobby (hunting, softball, baseball, fishing, snow skiing, golf, etc), the hobby would not be the same without the PEOPLE that you meet and that become a part of your lives.

Please help me to keep that in mind as we raise our fowl....and please remind me if I'm falling away from that premise.

Its not just the hobby, but the people you meet, befriend, encourage, help, work with, partner to learn, etc that make the hobby the fun that it is

Sometimes I think the "manusha" gets in the way, but to my friends, please help me to be mindful of how and why we do this

+1 Hey, Scott,
frow.gif
my good friend, and one of the few I've actually had the pleasure to meet in person a few times, along with his awesome wife and handsome sons! If not for this hobby, I wouldn't have the great friends and experiences I've had over the last decade.

Scott, yup. yup.

If we don't have fun doing this, or spread a little joy doing this? It's time to quit. It's just chickens, not a religion. One of my friends says that. LOL

A smile, a word of encouragement and a little fun goes a long way. This is supposed to be fun. It's hard enough sometimes, what with diseases, losses, predator attacks and all the rest. Let's keep our friendships as more important than the silliness that sometimes enters this world. Good word, Scott.

Last edited:
I agree BGMatt. Problems have plagued breeders of this breed for over 100 years. Can you imagine a perfect Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock in type & color. To me that would be a site to see. In all reality a perfect SPPR will never be seen. But as a child I would look through my fathers American Standard of Perfection and would always find this picture and tell my father some day I will have Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks like this.
IMG_20130531_222103-1-1_zps3fdc6718.jpg

Now days I have that old book and I look at this picture quite often. It is this that will keep me striving to breed the best Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks that I can possibly breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom