Plymouth Rock thread!

It got dark before I could get a few pictures of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. I will be sure to get them posted tomorrow. I would encourage anyone wanting to show their breeding progress to please post a few pictures. :)

Yep, I have a standard and have been breeding fowl for many years - PR for almost 7 years; I have shown, placed, I do know my way around showing fowl and the SOP.  Indeed, it's true that the SOP is most helpful when breeding to the standard; I would also say it would be helpful for anyone providing feedback on a breed/variety, to have more than just a few months of experience with said breed/variety.  Just my opinion.  :)

I feel it necessary to clear things up on my poultry experience. I have more than just a few months experience with the Plymouth Rock breed and many other breeds as I have been around poultry for the most part of my life. I am very grateful to have spent time with poultry breeders like Dr. Albert McGraw and sit in his poultry house many afternoons and talk to him about his breeding pens of Mottled Javas, Blue Hamburgs,Silver Penciled Hamburgs and many other rare breeds. How I do wish I could go back 20 years as at that time I had a very nice breeding flock of Mottled Javas that Mr. McGraw let me hand pick out of his breeder flock. I just don't want anyone to think that I have just recently got into poultry breeding. I have had great birds in the past that I was very proud of and plan to have great birds in the future that I can be proud of also. ;)

Last edited:
I just got word of the passing of Bob Blosl. I did not know him personally but in the last few weeks he and I had been sending PM back and forth on the breeding plans of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. He was truly a great poultry breeder that was not afraid to share his poultry breeding knowledge. He will be greatly missed.

Last edited:
I just got word of the passing of Bob Blosl. I did not know him personally but in the last few weeks he and I had been sending PM back and forth on the breeding plans of my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. He was truly a great poultry breeder that was not afraid to share his poultry breeding knowledge. He will be greatly missed.
I just heard this as well.. I am sad :( He was such an inspiration. He will be greatly missed.

A truly nice man i never met but has given me so much info on the rocks....course trting to convince me to show. It is a truly sad thing. I had never met someonev so knowledgeable about poultry

I do cherish each and every PM that Mr Blosl sent me as they were all full of great knowledge, inspiration and motivation that will keep me moving forward as long as I am breeding the Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. The last PM Mr Blosl sent me was to quote a message that Joe Emenheiser had sent me.

"For not even 6 months old, I think his tail is right on target. Too fast and it won't come in right the second year.

If you can, I would hatch some pullet eggs this fall for insurance. Then make that incubator hum starting early next year.

That male is begging to have a breeding program built around him."

Bob said "I saw this on Matts web site. You can take this to the bank."

This is just one of the message I got from Mr Blosl but I have copied and documented each and every one that he sent me over the last few weeks as they are full of information that will be very helpful in my poultry breeding days ahead.

This is one of the messages I got from him when I first started my quest to find a good line in my area:

Robert Blosl

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:08 pm​
You can send me a message if you want on who you think may own this bird or what show you saw it at. I have three Friends I can send the pictures to. This could be a bird from a guy named Guy Roy in Mass in the USA or Craig Shaffer in Ohio. Or it may be a sleeper strain hidden in Canada we have no idea who has it. This is a fine male and between you and me better tails than the Good Shepard Farms males. They trails are very poor but they where breed for eating not for showing. Look forward to your personnel message. You get the award for posting the best Barred Picture this year. bob

This was the picture I posted:

And thanks to his encouragement, I now have this strain.

Hope I didn't offend anyone by posting his private message.. I just wanted to show how helpful he was. I was just starting to try to find birds that would be of quality. I would never have gone for it if it hadn't been for his encouragement.

[IMG

A picture of my BR that just started to lay

Back
Top Bottom