Plymouth Rock thread!

Eggcellent!!! Have fun!!!

My 25 babes should arrive late next week. Hopefully we can get out of the single digits!!!
yippiechickie.gif

where from?

McMurray. I haven't used the hatcheries before. I have been lucky finding breeders locally but we have had a serious hawk problem and lost about 75% of my flock so I needed a bunch and that was cost prohibitive locally. :barnie

McMurray. I haven't used the hatcheries before. I have been lucky finding breeders locally but we have had a serious hawk problem and lost about 75% of my flock so I needed a bunch and that was cost prohibitive locally.
barnie.gif
My first batch came from Ideal 8 different breeds. I still have Frenchy she'll be 7 the 21st. Laid me some eggs last year that I put under broodies to hatch and they did.

Just some advice on hawks. Plant strategically. Bushes and shrubs for the birds to hide under.

I've read on here about hanging mirrored cones from the trees to confuse them.

I have a quick and probably odd question. Do all Plymouth Rocks lay the same? When I say all, please understand that I mean all the different varieties. I notice that some egg production birds are crossed with the Barred Plymouth Rocks and White Plymouth Rocks. Is this because they lay more, are possibly more docile, or create a certain look?

I have a quick and probably odd question. Do all Plymouth Rocks lay the same? When I say all, please understand that I mean all the different varieties. I notice that some egg production birds are crossed with the Barred Plymouth Rocks and White Plymouth Rocks. Is this because they lay more, are possibly more docile, or create a certain look?

My barred rocks are my best layers but my other colors are really good layers too. I have Silver Penciled and Partridge.

My barred rocks are my best layers but my other colors are really good layers too.  I have Silver Penciled and Partridge. 
Thank you. We will be getting three partridge and a buff. We have two barred birds and figured that we had enough of the pattern for our yard. We were think of breeding our rocks to create a production breed like the black star. It is questioning to me. I have a friend that is willing to buy this test bird from us. I do not know if I want to waste the eggs.

Last edited:
I have a question. Have any of you crossed a Barred Rock rooster with leghorn chickens. What colors did you get. Please post some pics. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom