Plymouth Rock thread!

I have never hatched a barred rock chick with markings like this before. It had me wondering if I mismarked an egg somehow. Has anyone had similar barred rock chicks? Thanks in advance.

Your Dixie sounds like my Scruffy. She is my avatar. When I picked out my chicks I picked 2 from each breed the feed store had on hand. Two were rocks. One was dominant and the other passive. The passive hen is the only survivor of the initial 8. She's been attacked twice. Both times, I thought I would lose her. I fed her bread balls. I dripped water on the crook of my finger to force her to drink. Now, she picks up her bloomers and comes running if she hears my voice. I love to spend hours in the yard digging up grubs from underneath dandelions to feed her. She stands watch over my trowel as I work the ground, sometimes, getting in the way. She is very broody. I believe that's how she has survived as long as she has...hiding. She doesn't have anyone left to pick on her.
Of my five assorted girls, my little barred rock Dixie is my pick "of the litter!" She's quite outgoing, a snuggler, and she has personality galore!!
37862_chickens_11_weeks_014.jpg

Finally my project to have my first plymouth rock flock is working have 13 at the moment and looking to add yayaya
wee.gif

Those are the young ones will give more pics can anyone tell the sex of this one

Hello,
Since I am a newbie and you seem to know a little something about barred rocks, would you mind taking a crack at sexing mine? This is our first flock and we cannot have roosters and 3 of my six chicks are really worrying me :( this is our only BR Rooney

She is 3 weeks old in these

These aren't great but these were taken the day we brought them home.
Rooney is our most social loving girl. She begs to be picked up and was the first to escape the small brooder before moving them into the larger enclosed brooder.
Any clues you can spot?

jmc, I've raised BRs for years and it's very rare that I get one wrong. Sexing is more an art than a science, since sometimes, a chick can have a male trait mixed with a female trait, but I can usually figure them out. They are, indeed, sexable at hatch, to about a 90% accuracy, just as soon as they are completely fluffed out.

[/quote]

Last edited:
Hello,
Since I am a newbie and you seem to know a little something about barred rocks, would you mind taking a crack at sexing mine? This is our first flock and we cannot have roosters and 3 of my six chicks are really worrying me
sad.png
this is our only BR Rooney

She is 3 weeks old in these

These aren't great but these were taken the day we brought them home.
Rooney is our most social loving girl. She begs to be picked up and was the first to escape the small brooder before moving them into the larger enclosed brooder.
Any clues you can spot?

jmc, I've raised BRs for years and it's very rare that I get one wrong. Sexing is more an art than a science, since sometimes, a chick can have a male trait mixed with a female trait, but I can usually figure them out. They are, indeed, sexable at hatch, to about a 90% accuracy, just as soon as they are completely fluffed out.
[/QUOTE]
Your barred rock looks like a female, base off her comb, the black on her legs and the fact she's really dark. Since females have one copy of the barring gene they're usually darker than males who have one copy of the Barring gene which is a black color restricter

I have never hatched a barred rock chick with markings like this before. It had me wondering if I mismarked an egg somehow. Has anyone had similar barred rock chicks? Thanks in advance.

Here are some new pictures of this chick.

I would love to know if anyone else has hatched a similar chick.

Here is a photo of the parents (unless it was a mismarked egg).

@pennypenny , I'm positive that yours is a pullet, as long as it's a pure BR. Some single factor barred males will fool you, like black sex link males, but looks like a pullet to me.

@rafu, that doesn't even look like a BR to me. If it is, it has the weirdest markings I've ever seen, not anything we could sex for you from the markings. The head markings are reminiscent of a Wyandotte, though it does have a head spot among the other markings. The comb in the photo I did a close up of doesn't even look like a single comb, but might just be the angle of it.

ETA: Some of those hens don't appear to have single combs, either. Check out the picture of the supposed parents, folks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom