Polish roo eye gone and eye socket bleeding help

:) Houdini is eating like a pig today but I'm pretty sure were gonna have to try again and getting the puss out his coloring is soft pink now no more angry red but he's still swolled up not as bad as before. I've been giving him the 1/4 of a pill by mouth and I hope I'm giving it to him correctly at 2 x a day. Will see what tomorrow brings and if he's still swollen up after his 5 days I'm gonna give it my all to find the puss I just hate to cut him open again :(

Ok I need help again I don't know what's going on with him he seemed to be doing so much better yesterday and today its like a 360 backwards his skin is white he's lethargic and not eating standing with droopy wings again I went out and found the baby bird formula and I'm going to start tube feeding him I'm just not sure how much I should feed him his crop is completely empty his bms were mostly firm yesterday today they are watery and also should his crop be a purplish color I don't remember it being that way before and also the only syringes I could find were 12 ml will these be ok I'm sure Ill have to give him a few of them I've read alot on the tube feeding and if I understand correctly 2 x a day is sufficient?

I'm so sorry he is not doing well. I wish I could answer your question about his crop turning purple, but that doesn't sound good with his pale color. I think you can give 60 cc/ml of liquids with the tube feeding, but be careful and do it slowly in case he vomits. Hopefully Kathy or one of the others who tube feeds chickens regularly can tell you. Do you have aquarium tubing and regular syringes, or feeding tube with catheter tip syringes? A 35 or 60 cc syringe is much easier to use, but the tip has to fit whatever tube you are using.

So let me get this straight. You have an injured bird, who is showing all signs of getting worse. He's been suffering for three weeks despite everything you're doing for him.

Dear lord, enough is enough. Please put that poor bird out of his misery and stop feeding your human need to save that which can't be saved. You have a responsibility to take care of him and the best thing for him now is to have his pain end.

Eggcessive I have aquarium tubeing and regular syringes I got from TS I researched alot more on the tube feeding and so far its going great his swelling has went down tremendously and his color is some better today. I think he was having a bad day yesterday hopefully with a few more days of tube feeding he will be out of the woods he is back to drinking vitamin water on his own and has ate some pellets on his own along with egg yolk and wet mash today. He's being treated for worms now thanks to my neighbors knowledge on his sudden running bms. And also I see no need to end his life yes he didn't respond to the penicillin and I had to wait on the cipro for a week but he is getting better on it and he has the will to live and he's also my pet... He's been on asprin therapy for pain and I've kept him warm and cozy his 3 weeks of being back in the house with us yes I'm sure his wound has been very uncomfortable with the swelling but I'm not quitting on him and I don't see it as being selfish only trying to help another living being

So let me get this straight. You have an injured bird, who is showing all signs of getting worse. He's been suffering for three weeks despite everything you're doing for him.

Dear lord, enough is enough. Please put that poor bird out of his misery and stop feeding your human need to save that which can't be saved. You have a responsibility to take care of him and the best thing for him now is to have his pain end.
Many of us like to try all avenues before going that route.

-Kathy

I'm so glad he is doing better today--you had me worried yesterday. I think you are very right to give this little guy a chance. You have worked so hard on him, so I'm hoping he is finally turning around. Glad the swelling is less. Just remember about the runny poos--he has been on antibiotics forever, and needs probiotics for awhile to get his stools back to normal. I have a hen who is having a terrible molt now, and keeps trying to die, but she loves her scrambled eggs every day. Give him a hug, and ignore the naysayers--you are doing a great job.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom