poll: are you legal or an outlaw?

definitely an outlaw....living in this town is like living with an HOA only WORSE..So far no one has complained about me cuz they are great people ...and also they'd loose their quail egg source....
thumbsup.gif

I'm an outlaw. I live in a small city that allows for up to 5 birds per acre of land. However, the spacing requirements are impossible. Supposed to house yardbirds 75 ft from your own home and 300 ft from the neighbors! Our lots are only 50 ft wide so spacing is impossible. I only have two chickens and I have them housed in a discreet corner, under a big magnolia tree. I'm hoping the metermen don't turn me in. If they do, I might try looking into trying to get the law changed.

Quote:
I'm in a larger city but it sounds like my neighborhood -- 50 x 100 lots -- five hens allowed, but only if there's 200 feet between the chickens and the closest neighbors. I guess that makes me an outlaw, too, since our houses are very close. Fortunately, no one can see the chickens from the street and my neighbors gave their blessing before I got my girls. The local grapevine says that people with just a few chickens aren't usually bothered unless they're kept in unsanitary conditions and/or a neighbor complains. So far, so good. *crosses fingers*

I have no idea, I have reviewed all the municipal code I could find on-line with no luck. I don't want to call the county because then it will end up in the local newspaper. So I'm legal until proven otherwise.
tongue.png

I'm Both!
cool.png
I'm Allowed To Have 3 Hens. I'm Not Allowed To Have A Rooster.
barnie.gif
Oh Well...No Complaints From Any Neighbors, & I Don't Mind Being Illegal" In This Backyard Deal!!
woot.gif

It's complicated
wink.png
. Well, technically illegal. Small rustbelt town with declining population surrounded by farmland. Very large lot. The people in City Hall don't even know what the regulations say. One said sure, chickens are fine, as long as they are pets. There are other folks in town with chickens and one even works for the city. But I've read the ordinance and it says that animals not normally kept as pets must be housed 100 feet from any dwelling or street. Ours are about 50 feet from our house. Our lot is so big though that especially given the way we've built our coop it isn't visible from outside the property. Even the meter guy wouldn't see it. I am planning to try to change the ordinance. Although I think I could be successful, I am a little worried that making it an "issue" might result in the loss of my chickens... when if I just carried on, we'd be fine. Tricky.

I am a total OUTLAW! You know what...I like it this way. I want to see are mayor Corny Cornfeild (Charlie Cornfeild) take away 200 birds...what the heck is he going to do with so many birds...dump them at a shelter? I could rant and rave about my city for hours, days without running out of complaints.
Well there is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Totally legal since I moved my coop. I have more than one acre so I can have chickens. Rooster has to be housed at least 400 ft from any adjacent building for human habitation. As of January he's 435 ft. from the nearest building.

Traci

I thought I was, until tonight when I read a different version of our city’s ordinance. Can’t remember where I read the original that had us encouraged to go ahead and build a coop and start raising chicks (now in the bathroom as I write). When I take my morning walks I find many homes with chickens.

Gonna stick with the original, it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and we’ve already invested a lot. It’s the neighbors that actually decide anyway and all our neighbors don’t care…except for maybe one which we didn’t ask (they live on the street behind us) - just hoping to keep the peace with them.

Back
Top Bottom