Poopy bum - tried everything! (I think!)

Jess2569

Hatching
Mar 5, 2023
Hello all!

One of my hens has had a constantly poopy bum for a while now. I’ve tried everything from mite treatment, to cleaning her in a warm salt bath to probiotics and Flubenvet/Flubendazole (feed and powder.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I inherited my ladies from the previous home owner and for the past 1.5 years have had no issues.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• DAD69F1E-6ACF-46DF-8EE4-9F5EA30830CA.jpeg
    DAD69F1E-6ACF-46DF-8EE4-9F5EA30830CA.jpeg
    455.6 KB · Views: 22
Is this hen on the heavy side? Do you feel a significant swelling behind the legs and under the vent? I notice from the photo her legs are widely spaced. That can indicate fatty liver disease, especially if the swelling extends in front of the legs, as well. When a hen has a lot of fat sitting below the vent, it acts as a "shelf" to intercept the poop. Frequent butt baths are necessary.

Poopy butts can also be caused by poor microbe populations in the intestines, also worms. Giving a probiotic for several days can help. Also worming could help if the last worming was more than six months ago.

Lastly, runny poop can be caused by bacteria. An oral antibiotic might help. We need your location to see how easy it would be for you to acquire it.

Thank you very much for your response. She definitely seems a little larger than her sister but doesn’t feel too swollen. They have both been wormed recently too. I am based in Scotland UK.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I inherited my ladies from the previous home owner and for the past 1.5 years have had no issues.

Do you know how old your hen is? In my limited experience, my hens seem to have more ailments the older they get.

My first thought was that she looked a little plump, too. My older hens look that way at the end of their egg laying production - usually at the 3 year period.

I don't think I have anything to add to what was already suggested by @azygous. Keep us updated on your treatment progress. It's an issue that I am sure others have to deal with, too.

:fl Good luck and I hope things improve.

Thank you all. I am not sure how old she is but I do not think she lays anymore. I cannot get an oral antibiotic without a vet prescription so i am waiting on a call back from them!

Thank you all. I am not sure how old she is but I do not think she lays anymore. I cannot get an oral antibiotic without a vet prescription so i am waiting on a call back from them!

Have you gone to a local farm store to see what medicines you can buy off the shelf? You might not need a vet prescription for typical treatments. I know our local Fleet store sells a lot of different medications and syringes for farm animals. If nothing else, might be good to find out what is available.

FYI, I don't keep my chickens as pets. I care for them the best I can, but they will never see a vet. For the price of one vet visit, I could replace my entire 10 bird flock 3X over. So, for me, it's treat them at home best I can, and if I lose a bird or two, I'll buy a $3.00 chick in the spring to replace them.

In any case, Dear Wife and I have decided to replace our chickens before their third winter because they just don't lay many eggs more at that point, but they still eat just as much feed. Most of the chickens are still young and healthy up to that point so they should be good for eating.

I just mention my philosophy of caring for my backyard flock because not all of us would be willing to spend vet money on a sick chicken, and I don't think anyone should have to feel guilty about looking at the pure dollar cost of owning chickens.

My strategy has always been to order a few extra chicks and be willing to take some loss before they are replaced in 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom