Post here if you DON'T wash clean-looking eggs

Well, I only have 2 hens, and one of them is broody at the moment - so this was the only egg of the day!
sad.png

(I'm not telling if I kept it or not.....
wink.png
)

Me! If there is a smear of poo (which is rare), then I just use a damp paper towel to wipe it off. Otherwise, I use all of our eggs as is, and share them with friends/family that way, too.

So far I have never had to wash an egg. They are always clean as I keep the coop clean and dry, and the nesting boxes too!

Sometimes my duck eggs get muddy if its been raining as they lay them outside on the ground. I just scrape the dry mud off with my fingernail, or if its still wet I give the egg a quick dip in the lake!

Never had any problems and my family and friends have been eating the eggs for years.

I agree that there are more than enough things to wash around here, with a 5 yo son who is always in the corrals and two large dogs, lol, but I was always told that if you fed raw eggs or raw egg shells to your chickens that it encouraged egg eating, and I do remember this as a problem when we had chickens growing up.

Don't wash the eggs before I put them in the fridge. Before I use them I quickly rinse them. Since they started laying in January on a regular basis,i've only had one or two with a smear of poop, and 1 or so with a smear of blood. When I sell a dozen, I tell the person buying that the eggs are not washed, I tell them why I haven't washed them and I tell them how to wash them,before cracking them.

I only DON'T wash them before I put them in the refrigerator, but I wash them before I use them. I dunno, it just seemed right to do. Whether it is or isn't is beyond me. Sometimes washing before using is forgotten, but we don't sweat it.

I agree that there are more than enough things to wash around here, with a 5 yo son who is always in the corrals and two large dogs, lol, but I was always told that if you fed raw eggs or raw egg shells to your chickens that it encouraged egg eating, and I do remember this as a problem when we had chickens growing up.
No, it doesnt. If you crack it in the nest box, sure. But I give our hens ALL the time cracked eggs, and we don;t have any egg eaters. Mind our old hens did, but they learned quickly with fake eggs, that it doesn't always work, they learned, and they still got free eggs from us. Maybe some chickens are more apt. to eating them, but ours are fine :)

The only reason we wash DIRTY eggs, is cause we sell 'em. But only if their dirty, thats it. If its clean, why wash it?

I don't wash with water, but if there's anything on them at all, I clean it before going into the carton (most eggs are clean). I either brush it off with a brush or buff it off with fine sandpaper. I heard this was preferred to washing with water. I store in the fridge because they keep longer in the fridge (so fresher when I use them or give away), but counter is fine if you use them sooner than later. Also, my kitchen is so small, there is more space in the fridge! Same reason some glasses get stored in the freezer... well, that and the ice cold mojito.

Back
Top Bottom