Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

here are my first 2 forgive the terrified look it was their first day. I have no idea on age just young. They are not laying or trying. Any guess? Male or female ? Thank you for your help

here are my first 2 forgive the terrified look it was their first day. I have no idea on age just young. They are not laying or trying. Any guess? Male or female ? Thank you for your help

I think orps are hard to sex, but the left looks like a roo and the right one looks like a hen. Maybe they're 5 months old? How long have you had them? A move can be kind of traumatizing...

So far as lines, if a person got their starting birds from Joe Blow, that doesn't mean to me that it's Joe Blow's line unless I get the actual birds from that person. Once bred, the chicks are from the person I got them from. Often I've read how easy it is to mess up a line, that the trick is to keep that line good or improve it. Mine are from someone that got birds from more than one source to start, therefore I don't say they're from any other breeder but the one I got them from. In other words, the one that took those sometimes celebrated lines and combined them to get really great results.

Name dropping can be deadly. It can give breeders a black eye if you use their name in association with birds that might not really be up to that breeder's standards.
I agree about this Sarah,

this has gotten to be to me a real eye roller.. there are some other things that go on as well for people who are new ...tom blow may be trying to ruin joe blow so there is also an assortment of childish undercurrents that go along with the poultry world..use your eyes when looking at birds..one breeder may be black listed by another clique or group and isolated and they may have the best birds..so use your eyes, not just somenes say so....do lots of window shopping..there are many web sites out there...if it doesn't seem right to you in some way, ask a lot of questions...if someone doesn't like it...Too bad.. ..know what you are after in your mind and hopefully you will find a good mentor who isn't into childish games but wants whats best for the breed and sets the antics aside to do whats right..for you and for orpingtons..people have a habit of assuming too much ..they assume they know everything, they don't...If I could give any advise it would be think for yourself.. I don't know how to candy coat things..this is just what I have learned the hard way...I accidently walked into peoples fights that I knew nothing about or had anything to do with then this guy is against that guy..all I could think of was GROW UP......

also buy a copy of the standard of perfection for your guide..look closely at the buff orpington pic as there is no pic of white blk or blue..use that body type as your guide..the faces on blue and black are a bit different but that type body is what they are supposed to look like..deep chested birds , look at the tail angle ect..its money well spent,,if you don't have a lot of money , sometimes amazon has current copies lightly used for less money.

Last edited:
I made a little discovery that I thought I would share especially with all the wet weather and mosquitoes we are dealing with on the East Coast.

Bounce dryer sheets have been used by people for years to keep mosquitoes off. Despite fans, I noticed a few of those nasties flying about in my greenhouse where I have my baby brooder. The mosquitoes are still attracted by the light for the babies at night. I hung Bounce dryer sheets all around the sleeping area just to see if it would work. It DOES work. No more mosquitoes flying about, and the threat of pox much lessened for those babies, who are really not old enough to deal with it. Today the sheets go up in the sleeping coops for every body.

I made a little discovery that I thought I would share especially with all the wet weather and mosquitoes we are dealing with on the East Coast.

Bounce dryer sheets have been used by people for years to keep mosquitoes off. Despite fans, I noticed a few of those nasties flying about in my greenhouse where I have my baby brooder. The mosquitoes are still attracted by the light for the babies at night. I hung Bounce dryer sheets all around the sleeping area just to see if it would work. It DOES work. No more mosquitoes flying about, and the threat of pox much lessened for those babies, who are really not old enough to deal with it. Today the sheets go up in the sleeping coops for every body.
Wow!!! Thanks for the advice! :D

Thanks Vickie..I hand them around the windows at night.it really does work..thanks for the tip..
Some vetRX around the face and comb, wattle keeps them at bay also..and it smells great..lasts long time too..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom