Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Is this an orp? Its a hen from college and she is huge!
541859_4724231963399_1593337727_n.jpg

1380051_4724233243431_1125373602_n.jpg

1377042_4724233083427_343775114_n.jpg

1376476_4724230723368_310119061_n.jpg

She looks like one to me!!!

My handsome boys. I swear some take a year to get all their fluff around the tushy lol but some don't

I had originally fenced this place with 54" steel cattle panels, and had hedges all round it.I was trimming 1000' of hedge every month. That foolishness went on for 15 years.I finally got smart, and fenced the whole property in 8' board fencing, but I left the bottoms of the cattle panels, which by that time were imbedded in the ground, and impossible to remove. The board fencing is vertical planks spaced 1" apart to let air blow through.Very hard to climb.The tree rats do use the top cap board as their personal runway, but they don't bother me as the Orps run them off if they come into the orchard, or the coops.

Though I live in town, this place is adjoining the second oldest polo field in the US, with a golf course next to that. So we have had bears, bob cats,coyotes, way too many deer, and foxes around.Due to the fact that we have 4 rescue dogs who are out and about every day, nothing wants to enter here. At night the Orps are locked up in chain link steel covered runs.No way into those coops unless we have an elephant herd attack ! If I were worried about big cats, I would hot wire my 8' perimeter fence.

There are hydrangeas every where, as I can't resist putting cuttings in the ground. I did have a problem with the deer eating them outside my fence, but Nite-Guard solar lights stopped that.The hydrangeas in the Orps' orchard have bird netting in them. The hydrangeas have grown up through the netting, and give a second level of protection from aerial attacks. The over head lines stop the hawks and eagles, who don't want to risk their wings.They do make me very nervous in the fall when they migrate though. A young Red Tail boomeranged off the lines last year, and ended up tn the area my dogs patrol. He won't be back.

I think your answer Lual, is electric fencing, added to what ever you are currently fenced with. Wild animals respect it.It is very simple to install, and cheap to run.

It's an Orp Fort Knox! Love it :)

It's an Orp Fort Knox! Love it :)

You can bet that it is ! I've been at this a long time, and I've lived here for 24 years now. I've seen the deer move in, with the coyotes following them. Coyotes are now crossing with big dogs here, and some are growing to 75 lbs. Don't get me started on the nuts who are feeding the raccoons ! Some of those are running 45 lbs., and can tear almost anything but chain link apart. I'm in the city limits. We have a leash/ fencing law. Apparently most people have never read it.

Back
Top Bottom