Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

@Faraday40, your birds are magnificent! I wish you shipped hatching eggs or chicks... Do you or anyone here have any recommendations as to good sources for buff Orpingtons? So far I am looking at carolinararechicks, they have such beautiful Orpingtons but it looks like they are sold out for buffs for this year, and I am a little concerned about shipping eggs so far across the counry. Perhpas my fears are not founded but it seems like the further they are shipped, the worse the hatch rate so I am looking for good breeders that are closer.
https://www.carolinararechicks.net/product-page/6-english-buff-orpington-hatching-eggs-1

@Faraday40, your birds are magnificent! I wish you shipped hatching eggs or chicks... Do you or anyone here have any recommendations as to good sources for buff Orpingtons? So far I am looking at carolinararechicks, they have such beautiful Orpingtons but it looks like they are sold out for buffs for this year, and I am a little concerned about shipping eggs so far across the counry. Perhpas my fears are not founded but it seems like the further they are shipped, the worse the hatch rate so I am looking for good breeders that are closer.
https://www.carolinararechicks.net/product-page/6-english-buff-orpington-hatching-eggs-1
Thank you.
Papas Poultry is on your side on the continent. (Redding, CA) He may have some blue buff colombian orps or other project colors. It's worth asking via email.

Kind of funny: Buff is the most common color of Orpington..... and one of the few colors I've never had. I'm not against buff orps, I just fell in love with the other colors.

Thank you.
Papas Poultry is on your side on the continent. (Redding, CA) He may have some blue buff colombian orps or other project colors. It's worth asking via email.

Kind of funny: Buff is the most common color of Orpington..... and one of the few colors I've never had. I'm not against buff orps, I just fell in love with the other colors.
Thanks for the recommendation. I saw his website and his project colors but I'm looking for specifically buff. Yes, it is the most common color and there are lot's of other very beautiful colors (silver laced, blue, jubilee, and multitudes of others), but I really like buff and wanted to start out with it since it's a solid color and easier to breed. Maybe I'll work my way into the others someday.

I am considering getting some of his cream Legbars, another breed that I'm interested in. I have both buff Orpingtons and cream Legbars right now but only in their hatchery form -- not very satisfactory to say the least (especially with regard to the Legbars!)

Last edited:
I am considering gettin some of his cream Legbars, another breed that I'm interested in. I have both buff Orpingtons and cream Legbars right now but only in their hatchery form -- not very satisfactory to say the least (especially with regard to the Legbars!)
I used to have a few Legbars. I loved the egg color and used them to make sex-linked Easter Eggers. They're not cuddly like the orps. Mine looked pretty BUT they were NOT photogenic to say the least. How could such pretty birds look like evil villains? Seriously! I love to photograph my flock and the CCLs would maybe get 1 good pic out of every 100.

They often looked like something from the Dark Crystal

IMG_8855.JPG

or very grumpy and molting
IMG_1158.JPG

Just look at this hot mess!
IMG_3315.JPG

I used to have a few Legbars. I loved the egg color and used them to make sex-linked Easter Eggers. They're not cuddly like the orps. Mine looked pretty BUT they were NOT photogenic to say the least. How could such pretty birds look like evil villains? Seriously! I love to photograph my flock and the CCLs would maybe get 1 good pic out of every 100.

They often looked like something from the Dark Crystal

View attachment 2592227

or very grumpy and molting
View attachment 2592216

Just look at this hot mess!
View attachment 2592140
Lol, where did you get yours from? And yes, temperament is another reason I love Orpingtons, though again not all hatchery Orpingtons live up to it.

Buff Orpingtons would never have been my first pick because they're are so many beautifully colored birds but we got two among our "assorted brown layers" and at 3.5 weeks old they're the most beautifully feathered in the bunch. So fluffy and silky! If I just hold my wrist in the brooder Malasada flys across to land on it. She's the only one who does so consistently and with accuracy.

Meet Malasada and Beignet.. PXL_20210328_164050531.MP.jpg PXL_20210328_164009927.jpg PXL_20210330_220600006.MP~2.jpg

Lol, where did you get yours from? And yes, temperament is another reason I love Orpingtons, though again not all hatchery Orpingtons live up to it.
My 1st few CCLs were from a breeder in NC. They were in an assortment of eggs.

The next batch I had were hatched from eggs that we were given from a friend. He got his birds from Jill Rees. Those CCLs were pretty but still not photogenic. I kept one for 4-5 years until she died.

The last one I had was from another friend who picked some up from a small breeder in IL. She got an extra for me since I had just lost mine. That girl was skittish and was just nearing point of lay - starting to calm down. One night she simply didn't return to the coop. A week later I found some of her feather a few houses over.

So, I don't have any CCLs at the moment. My Easter Egger is almost 9 yrs, so I think I'll get another CCL or an Easter Egger this year. I can't imagine my egg basket without a blue egg.

My Orpingtons, came from all over the US. I've been breeding them for a while. Most are sweet, docile, and follow me around begging for treats. Most also like to be held & cuddled. However - not all. I have a giant black orp named "Chaos." She will run up and take treats from me- as long as I don't try to pet her. She does NOT like to be held. Sadly, she was my only good-looking black/lav split last year, so she will have to stay until I have her replacement.

Back
Top Bottom