Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

howdy all, I have a few questions for the experts,
#1- on white orps it's the color dominant or recessive?
#2- what are people doing to improve them?
#3- is the variety apa recognized?

Quote:
Jeb I believe their recessive White.
As said their one of the four recognized varieties of Orps by the APA. There are so few who raise them to Exhibition quality many are bringing in other varieties blood to better the type vigor and size. I read that one can take a superior quality Black & or Buff, the offspring will have the recessive White gene then the next generation can be taken back to White to better the variety. I have, what is called Buff Sports. A Buff Sports is a Buff which in it's past someone had introduced White blood. The gene will when bred back to another Buff with the White gene can produce Whites. Many times these Whites will have what is called Buff leakage. A term describing the Yellow tint in the White plumage. That can easily be erased by taking a Black recessive White back to the Buff Sport and you should get snowball White birds. This is in a book I bought from a good friend. Interestingly the Whites were the prefered variety 100 years ago. Today it is the Buffs. Hopefully we will be getting more into breeding up the Whites. I just got 36 Exhibition White Orp eggs from a friend from up North in trade for a book this past weekend. The eggs are on day 3 in my incubator. I am watching the temp like a hawk to make sure nothing will go wrong.

thanks for all the info, I just got some white eggs, I was thinking about taking them back to my blacks to improve, I'm looking forward to getting this project going. good luck on your whites, seeing the whites you had last spring is what got me interested in the variety

Last edited:
Quote:
I am looking forward to seeing how you do. This is the way I was told how to better my Whites. I feel the mentor I have is one who I can trust and knows what he is doing. I show against him at every show and he is a strait shooter no BS type. He is going to give me my last of my Buff Sports this coming weekend at the Columbus IN show. IF you get down this way on Sat you should check it out. It is being held at the Bartholomew fairgrounds.

Question! How come some female chickens have small light pink combs and others have larger more deep red ones. I keep trying to determine the sex of my buff pullets that are about 6 weeks old now. And two of them have the darker red and one still has more of a light pink. The one that has the lightest pink was also the fairest color and also the youngest. I love them chickens though~ sweet as can be!

Here are some updated pics of my Orpingtons.

So glad they love our cold Canadian climate, they winter rather well, Just added the Splash and Blue hens recently.

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00376.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00473.jpg

My Pure Black Orpington Roo
DSC00139.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom