Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

I cant really tell the mother orpington has lost as many feathers that i can see because she has that many!!

Since I am new to Orpingtons I have a question that maybe a dumb one but here goes:

I have a young cockerel, he's about 4-5 months old, and he has a limp. It is not bumble foot I have checked. I put him in a small coop for almost a week and it seemed to get some better but almost as soon as I turned him back out with the others he started limping again. I am thinking he may have injured a joint, ligament or something. My question would be is this common with the larger breeds of chickens? His limp is not as bad as it was but it is still there. I don't know if he done this jumping down off the roost which I have since lowered. He is a very large boy. Also they are on flock raiser feed, Calf Manna and a small amount of sunflower seeds mixed in the scratch grains. They all have been treated for mites/lice and have been wormed. Thanks for any input on this.

The bigger breeds can injure themselves if they are roosted too high..they hit the ground pretty hard..He may have an injury, check for any leg infections also...Chickens can also get gout but thats ususally in older chickens that are fed a diet that is a little too rich for them..

Thanks. I didn't think the roost was too high (about 3' off the floor at the most) but I lowered it any way. I will check his leg again tomorrow. If its an infection will it be swollen and/or warm to the touch?

Thanks. I didn't think the roost was too high (about 3' off the floor at the most) but I lowered it any way. I will check his leg again tomorrow. If its an infection will it be swollen and/or warm to the touch?
More than likely, but, not always. They have a gland in the bottom of the foot that is hard to see. It can become filled with debris with out seeing it. The only way is to completely clean the foot including the bottom. After cleaning it, you can rub your thumb over the middle pad and open that gland to look at it.

Check the main pad in his foot. Do you see a callus, or swelling? That is very common in big breeds. It's called bumblefoot. There will be a core in that pad which will have to come out, and it needs to be packed with antibiotic ointment. Cleaned every 2 days, and re-applied until it heals from the inside.

Back
Top Bottom