Post Pics of your Leghorns

I have 30 '4.5 month old' white leghorns in this 8x8 mobile tractor. They have 2 roosts and feed & water addlib. Move them daily. They have yet to lay. 3 roos are crowing 3 are not, 8 are definitely pullets, jury is out on the rest of them. My daughter has made me promise to keep all the roos.

Will be adding 8 laying boxes to one side. We've found them very friendly (they were handled as chicks very regularly) will sit on anyone's lap / shoulder / head if they enter the cage. They are constantly foraging and will immediately try any new food given to them.

Your not going to be able to keep 6 roosters with 8 hens. The roosters will fight (maybe even to death) and if you are super lucky and they don't then your still going to have some REALLY unhappy hens. They will be mounted profusely.
I would recommend keeping 1 or maybe even 2 roosters.

Agreed Luke.
I have so far only positively sexed the mentioned 14 chickens, 16 chickens I'm still not sure about so could end up with more roos!!!!
I forgot to mention that I am now working on a couple of 'static' coops, I plan to have 4 to 5 'local mix breed hens' with each Roo to try and mix the qualities of both breeds (local chickens are disease resistant and good meat birds). I planed to only leave 2 in the tractor (As you also advised).

Anyway, thanks for the advise.

LEGHORN QUESTION?
OK, I'm boarding some chickens for another member who is moving. Some EE's, some RIR's, and two that look like leghorns, but with silver gray feathers with darker lacing. Is this a recognized color for leghorns?

mmm......Don't think so. Large floppy single comb, white earlobes, lays white eggs. I did notice the feathers are much tighter and closer to the body than my other chickens.

Last edited:
Yep, checking out the SOP, and the only difference I can find is the Andalusian has slate legs, and the leghorn has yellow legs. These have slate legs, so I'm going with Blue Andalusian. But, while searching the web for blue leghorns, I found some that were produced by crossing black and white leghorns. Another blog was from a woman who crossed Araucana into the line and was getting blue eggs.

Yep, checking out the SOP, and the only difference I can find is the Andalusian has slate legs, and the leghorn has yellow legs. These have slate legs, so I'm going with Blue Andalusian. But, while searching the web for blue leghorns, I found some that were produced by crossing black and white leghorns. Another blog was from a woman who crossed Araucana into the line and was getting blue eggs.

Yes to create Blue LH you cross blk with white and then you get a mix of black, blue and splash offspring. From that you pick your best hen or rooster of black, blue and spalsh. They in turn are bred back to the parents.
That women is assume is having a 'play about'. Those birds won't be recognized if they have Ara in them but blue eggs would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom