post your chicken coop pictures here!

D.gif
MY COOP : CONSTRUCTION
D.gif

HERE = http://poules-naines-et-compagnie.eklablog.com/photos-de-poulailler-c27233978/3

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I'm still looking for inexpensive ideas for nursery coops for my new chicks when they go outside. Any ideas all??

Pallets are fairly easy and cheap (usually free!) or I highly recommend a hoop coop. I haven't used one yet but it came highly recommended to me and I seriously considered using one.

Pallets are pretty heavy but you can do a ton with them and, believe it or not, make them look really nice.

Hoop coops are also easy and you can buy cattle panels at TSC for like $20. That's for the 16 foot one which is the minimum because, when bent, it's only 8 feet. The one I found says 50 in high so around 4 or so feet i think so even just one should make a nice 4x8 thing. And then you can add as many panels as you want, I recommend at least 2 or 3. Then you just have to frame the bottom with wood and attach the panels, which shouldn't be too hard. Some people also frame in a door or run hardware cloth up the bottom few feet, wrap in clear plastic tarps for warmth, etc etc. If you have another way to protect them you dont need to do the HC. but you may need to or need to wrap in plastic so,little babies don't escape out the big holes. But its pretty cheap and looks nice and you can always use it for older chickens or as a greenhouse or storage or something later on. Again, I haven't used them yet but the people that recommended them went into detail and i remember plus this is really just the basics :p

but yeah.

If you search hoop coop or pallet coop you will find plenty of ideas :)

Thanks guys
1f642.png
I need something that fits in the 5'x10'x6'high pin we have for them to wonder around. I'll look both up. Thanks again
1f60a.png
263a.png

No problem! And ahh okay, hadn't realized you had a separate pen and was thinking you needed a stand alone thing, sorry. Though the pallets may still work and you could maybe use the hoop thing too or later on. But yeah, if its just for now i agree the rabbit thing may work but be careful because some can be pretty expensive especially if it's only a temporary thing. Perhaps you could even build one? Don't know if you have any experience (i dont) but could always find scrap wood or even buy a couple pieces, or find the pallets, and throw something together. You could even look on Craigslist actually and find old dog crates or something. Also i dont know about for chickens since they like to,roost but maybe for babies it could work but I've heard those dog igloo things or "dogloos" are great and theyre often on Craigslist for pretty cheap at least here and they have pretty big ones and smaller ones. People use them for goats, ducks, rabbits, all sorts of things so for chicks it could probably work too

No problem! And ahh okay, hadn't realized you had a separate pen and was thinking you needed a stand alone thing, sorry. Though the pallets may still work and you could maybe use the hoop thing too or later on. But yeah, if its just for now i agree the rabbit thing may work but be careful because some can be pretty expensive especially if it's only a temporary thing. Perhaps you could even build one? Don't know if you have any experience (i dont) but could always find scrap wood or even buy a couple pieces, or find the pallets, and throw something together. You could even look on Craigslist actually and find old dog crates or something. Also i dont know about for chickens since they like to,roost but maybe for babies it could work but I've heard those dog igloo things or "dogloos" are great and theyre often on Craigslist for pretty cheap at least here and they have pretty big ones and smaller ones. People use them for goats, ducks, rabbits, all sorts of things so for chicks it could probably work too
Oh I have built all my coops so far. The first one was 4'x4.5'x3' tall and was on a 3' stand. WITH NO EXTERIOR NEST BOX ACCESSES !!! I had to climb a step ladder and craw in to get eggs
1f602.png
1f602.png
You can see the side. Then I added a small child pin and put wood on top for my baby coop last year. Now that we are in a new house we have built an 8'x8'x6'tall barn coop The small pin will be revamped for the chicks. I'm removing that old tarp and chicken wire and putting on metal sheeting for a roof and wrapping the sides and bottom of the pin with hardware cloth. The nursery coop has to fit inside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom