post your chicken coop pictures here!

This is my coop the enclosure is 24'/16'
I still let my chickens free range.

The picture is not the best.

What sweeties! They really want out, don't they? Do you give them some free-range time meantime? My back ached whenever we had to hunch down to clean our old coop so we made sure the new coop was tall enough for us to clean out without having to hunch over
lol.png
We let them out when we can. I introduced our Golden Retriever to them yesterday... Goldilocks(Buff Orpington) pecked him right on the nose! I think she was trying to lay the ground rules for who was actually in charge lol.

The new coop will have a 6' tall run and the coop itself will be built off the ground with multiple swing doors for cleaning, and will be quite a big larger. They will get most of the space that you see behind the fence that the current setup leans against.

I started burying hardware cloth yesterday. I did as much as I could with the frozen ground. The next coop will be built against the fence and use the fence as the back wall for it. I am getting a few more fence panels from a neighbor to help build the remaining walls. That tall pile was a raised planter box that I am taking down to build the wider coop, the top 4" of dirt are frozen. There will be aviary netting that covers this entire area.

You can kind of see the hardware cloth attached to the lower portion of the fence in the back. It is buried into the clay layer that I hit yesterday. There is old timber and boulders buried to back it up.

The section of run that you see was given to me and I need to take it apart and will be re-using the pieces in the new set up.

This whole area is my project for the winter/spring. This is my old garden that will soon be dual purpose between the chickens and garden. The plants will be fenced off from the chickens. They will get roughly 1/3 of this garden area, just under 300 sqft.

I have another 50'x40' garden area elsewhere on my property that they will for certain have zero access to and will be pushed to the limits of production this year. My motivation is running at all time highs right now.

We let them out when we can. I introduced our Golden Retriever to them yesterday... Goldilocks(Buff Orpington) pecked him right on the nose! I think she was trying to lay the ground rules for who was actually in charge lol.

The new coop will have a 6' tall run and the coop itself will be built off the ground with multiple swing doors for cleaning, and will be quite a big larger. They will get most of the space that you see behind the fence that the current setup leans against.

I started burying hardware cloth yesterday. I did as much as I could with the frozen ground. The next coop will be built against the fence and use the fence as the back wall for it. I am getting a few more fence panels from a neighbor to help build the remaining walls. That tall pile was a raised planter box that I am taking down to build the wider coop, the top 4" of dirt are frozen. There will be aviary netting that covers this entire area.
I used an apron of hardware cloth instead of digging it down.. I used landscape fabric pins to hold it down until the grass grows through it . Then you can't even see it and if there was any need you could mow high over it... you can sort of see it still on the right side of this hoop coop from spring

I used an apron of hardware cloth instead of digging it down.. I used landscape fabric pins to hold it down until the grass grows through it . Then you can't even see it and if there was any need you could mow high over it... you can sort of see it still on the right side of this hoop coop from spring

I will be doing the apron style in the inside of the garden. But at the fence line it is getting buried, no way around that. Especially along one side of the fence since it is next to our back driveway.

Last edited:
Been watching the weather like crazy while I built it. So far so good in the rain, no warping but some swelling. If it dries up for a few days is getting paint.

Fortunately haven't had any rodents since we first moved in 6 years ago, git a great outdoor cat.
1f600.png
1f43a.png

Cats are excellent hunters but often the rodents do a lot of damage before the cat patiently stalks and catches the little beasts one by one! Just a heads up to newbies that plastic, stucco, or wood of any thickness is not enough to deter rodent teeth. We took our chances for almost a year with heavy duty plastic trash cans until we found the beasties little gnaw marks through the bottom of the barrels as well as the top lids!

You can kind of see the hardware cloth attached to the lower portion of the fence in the back. It is buried into the clay layer that I hit yesterday. There is old timber and boulders buried to back it up.

The section of run that you see was given to me and I need to take it apart and will be re-using the pieces in the new set up.

This whole area is my project for the winter/spring. This is my old garden that will soon be dual purpose between the chickens and garden. The plants will be fenced off from the chickens. They will get roughly 1/3 of this garden area, just under 300 sqft.

I have another 50'x40' garden area elsewhere on my property that they will for certain have zero access to and will be pushed to the limits of production this year. My motivation is running at all time highs right now.
Wow! That's a lot of work! I envy the space you have to work with - paradise for chickens! We've had wood fences in the past (both cedar and redwood) and when they are new they are sturdy but we found after the first decade they start warping or separating from posts - just something to think about before making a fence a permanent part of a coop wall. Good luck with your project! Nice digs for poultry!

Back
Top Bottom