Post Your First Egg of 2016!!!

Ouch!  That had to hurt!  Last year I had one that weighed 134, but it didn't develop.  

Yep, that left a mark.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Ouch! That had to hurt! Last year I had one that weighed 134, but it didn't develop.
Seems like even is they do develop, that the bigger ones have problems hatching. At lest mine do... This year the majority of mine are in the 100-110 gram range.

-Kathy

Oh, set ~24 last night. Will set the remaining 90 tonight if I can find room for them. Many are quite old, so I doubt that the majority are viable.

-Kathy

Seems like even is they do develop, that the bigger ones have problems hatching. At lest mine do... This year the majority of mine are in the 100-110 gram range.

-Kathy

I'm bad this year, haven't weighed any of them. In fact last year was the only year I did weigh them and the only thing it seemed to do was stress me out more!

Quote: I know what you mean... might be less stressful if I just set them. Since I'm such a slacker, I didn't weight the majority of the older eggs when I picked them up, so weighing them now is somewhat pointless. I candled a few and their air cells are already big, so doubt those are gonna develop, and if they do, they'll probably have issues hatching. Each year I say I'm gonna do better about storage and setting before they get old, but somehow it doesn't happen.
hide.gif

-Kathy

My eggs have run from 87 to 117 this year with most in the 97 to 105 range. It amazes me how much variance I am getting in shape and color.

One of my two-year-old Peach SPhens lays a 90 gm almost white egg, a Cameo hen lays a small very slick shelled egg in the low 90 gm range and mu three-year-old High % Spaulding BS hen lays a very large pink egg over 105gm. Then one of my WE gals lays a very long and pointy egg in the 110+ range. Two of those long pointy eggs should hatch in the next day or two.

I got three eggs and my hen didn't lay anymore for a week so I put them in the Incubator and they are all developing. Will she lay anymore eggs this year or am I only getting the 3?

I am new to having chickens. My Amber link hens are almost 17 weeks & I got my first egg today.....SUPER excited! I bought them nesting boxes & 1 hen laid an egg behind their coop & 2 others laid them in a Rubbermaid tub I have in the coop

Back
Top Bottom