Post Your First Egg of 2016!!!

What in the world is this??? I thought that last year was super early when I got my first egg on March 22. In my area the first eggs aren't expected until May 1st. January 29th from my IBBS split Cameo cock and Cameo hens.
Good deal, mine are going through the motion but nothing as of today. Gerald Barker

WHAT??? I don't understand why us Floridians don't get eggs first. It was around 60 deg. F today. all except one of my peacocks was displaying.

I usually start getting eggs in April.

Did you check it for fertility or did you just put it in the incubator?

I have no idea what I am going to do with it yet.  We are supposed to have a major snowstorm Tuesday and go back into the freezer for a while.  No incubators running this time of year, oh no no no!

That really makes it tougher, I dont have any game hens setting or I would offer to hatch it for you. Dang, and Cameos too,
2639.png
. I could turn an incubator on if you needed me too, but, I hate starting pea eggs in the incubator, Id rather use a game hen for at least 14 days, then move it over.

Gerald Barker

What in the world is this??? I thought that last year was super early when I got my first egg on March 22. In my area the first eggs aren't expected until May 1st.

January 29th from my IBBS split Cameo cock and Cameo hens.

Wow! May 2nd was when I got my first egg last year.

That really makes it tougher, I dont have any game hens setting or I would offer to hatch it for you. Dang, and Cameos too,
2639.png
. I could turn an incubator on if you needed me too, but, I hate starting pea eggs in the incubator, Id rather use a game hen for at least 14 days, then move it over.

Gerald Barker

Thanks for the offer, but... Setting the eggs for two weeks under chickens works for Leggs, that is how Brad does it too. Last year I tried a number of different ways including using broodies for the entire hatch. I think I will try to exclusively do the two week under the chicken and move all eggs to the bator after that.

Thanks for the offer, but...  Setting the eggs for two weeks under chickens works for Leggs, that is how Brad does it too.  Last year I tried a number of different ways including using broodies for the entire hatch.  I think I will try to exclusively do the two week under the chicken and move all eggs to the bator after that.

What works best for me is to hatch full term under a good game hen. If I have to use an incubator, I leave them for a min 14 days under a hen before I move them over. Thats the way I was taught and it seems to work better. It might be a wives tale but, Ive been taught that the eggs are very sensitive to bacteria and the oils from a hen help to seal/shield the eggs. I only use the incubator as a backup, nothing beats mother nature.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
I sterlize my eggs with Tek-trol before I set them. It kind of bothers me to see all the crap on the eggs under the hens then to bring them in to the bator makes me wonder how much I am contaminating the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom