Post Your First Egg of 2016!!!

I sterlize my eggs with Tek-trol before I set them.  It kind of bothers me to see all the crap on the eggs under the hens then to bring them in to the bator makes me wonder how much I am contaminating the incubator.

So true about contamination and if not controlled with regular cleaning incubators fester up and fast.

Gerald Barker

I usually go the whole way through incubator or peahen. Except I'm just a small farm for now. I might, probably will change my methods once I start getting more peafowl.

I am the same as Birdrain. I would use laying hens because I have heard how effective they are, but I am not into raising chickens. I don't have any and I don't want any.
tongue.png
I like seeing them at the local poultry show and feeding them but they just aren't my cup of coffee.

The house dog lies around a lot maybe she can cover some eggs.
lol.png

I am the same as Birdrain. I would use laying hens because I have heard how effective they are, but I am not into raising chickens. I don't have any and I don't want any.
tongue.png
I like seeing them at the local poultry show and feeding them but they just aren't my cup of coffee.

The house dog lies around a lot maybe she can cover some eggs.
lol.png

Hahaha! Also the breed of chickens I have none are brooders. I have Black Australorps and none of them are broody. I just let the peahen keep them if I can't put any in my incubator. This year though I will have a lot of eggs, having 4 hens that will be laying.

I keep a small flock (15 hens, 2 roosters) of wheatens and orange quill gamefowl just for brooding purposes. A good gamehen is worth its weight in gold when it comes to dependability.

Gerald Barker

I keep a small flock (15 hens, 2 roosters) of wheatens and orange quill gamefowl just for brooding purposes. A good gamehen is worth its weight in gold when it comes to dependability.

Gerald Barker

I had good luck using DWs BCMs last year, well I guess they did have a few problems. Like not going back to the same nest box, that may have cost me a few eggs. Then the hens would squabble and break a few eggs with two of them crammed in the same nest. And then when I didn't pull the chicks soon enough the other hens would attack the chicks. Then there was the time the hens got cocci...

Maybe I should stick with the incubator after all...
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom