Post Your First Egg of 2016!!!

I got a couple about two weeks ago.

-Kathy

Congrats Kathy!  Is that the normal timing for you living in the desert?  (I assume that lower Ca. is desert...)

I'm actually in northern CA, and no it's not normal, it's just the one hen. She lays more eggs and last year laid from May - December. This year it was May through January.

-Kathy

I'm actually in northern CA, and no it's not normal, it's just the one hen. She lays more eggs and last year laid from May - December. This year it was May through January.

-Kathy

That's interesting, brings up all kinds of questions like when did the eggs go infertile? Have you checked the recent eggs for fertility?

I got my second egg last night and saw the hen that laid it, of course from the roost over six foot high. Both eggs were perch bombs and neither one broke or cracked. The second was larger than the first, 4.4 oz, I will have to find my gram scale and reweigh it. the first was 3.7 oz.

That's interesting, brings up all kinds of questions like when did the eggs go infertile? Have you checked the recent eggs for fertility?

I got my second egg last night and saw the hen that laid it, of course from the roost over six foot high. Both eggs were perch bombs and neither one broke or cracked. The second was larger than the first, 4.4 oz, I will have to find my gram scale and reweigh it. the first was 3.7 oz.

Thora would go up on the perch last year and drop perch bombs at 8:30 pm. Since I knew what the time was I decided to start catching her eggs as she laid them. I would go out at about 8:20 wait right under her for the egg and catch it as it's laid.

Thora would go up on the perch last year and drop perch bombs at 8:30 pm. Since I knew what the time was I decided to start catching her eggs as she laid them. I would go out at about 8:20 wait right under her for the egg and catch it as it's laid.

Kathy has some great pictures her husband took while she caught the egg in her shirt. I was able to catch a few last year with my bare hands. I much prefer that the hen lay them in the nest box.

Kathy has some great pictures her husband took while she caught the egg in her shirt. I was able to catch a few last year with my bare hands. I much prefer that the hen lay them in the nest box.

I was catching them with my hands. I don't have nesting boxes yet. My peahens just dig their own nests. I can't wait for this breeding season since I should be getting IBs and White chicks and split chicks.

I already have like 15-16 eggs, all out of the same pen. First egg on the second weekend in January. First ten are not fertile. My first fertile egg record is February 17 or 27. I will have to go back and look.

I would say there is a good chance we could break the record but I said it last year as well and it did not happen.

I already have like 15-16 eggs, all out of the same pen. First egg on the second weekend in January. First ten are not fertile. My first fertile egg record is February 17 or 27. I will have to go back and look.

I would say there is a good chance we could break the record but I said it last year as well and it did not happen.

You keep saying that and you might get eggs in December for Christmas.

-Kathy

Ive got an old pied hen that for the last 2 yrs has out laid my chickens. Every other day for months, I would love to have a green hen that does that.

Gerald Barker

Back
Top Bottom