Post Your First Egg Pics-Part 2

Pics
My first blue Ameraucana egg from Zoe the Splash Ameraucana 🥰
5D78F753-0B29-4833-AABE-4DF365B48B78.jpeg

17F4ED68-87DD-487E-A8F9-11D2CD60E28A.jpeg

My EE‘s first egg laid on 1/28 and my welsummers first eggs laid just days ago - the smaller brown eggs in the carton .. we have a rooster… and we are gonna hatch these babies. Some of the eggs were broken - (earlier welsummers and the first 2 eggs from the EE i opened so that i could check fertility - and we’ve got 97% fertility!!!!) im so proud of my handsome roo and hope to make some beauties. He’s a Lavender Orpington - and so chicks should be blackish - maybe some marbling going on… but amazed by Mother Nature and all of her bounty. Oh.. EE and Welsummers are terrible mother hens so im incubating! Ha. They all leave the nest immediately after laying so they can get back to dust bathing and snacks. Silly girls.
Congrats on Feb beautiful eggs! First eggs are usually smaller than a “normal” egg for that chicken. I have seen it posted several times that you really need to wait until they have been laying a few months and their eggs have increased in size a little before hatching any. Otherwise the egg could be too small for the chick to develop and hatch normally.

Our first ever eggs from our little flock of 4! Ginger, an EE who appears to have some CCL genetics (based on that crazy crest) is laying almost an egg a day!

She got going around 21-22 weeks. None of our other girls (an olive EE, BCM and Minorca - although I can’t be sure the last two aren’t also hybrids!) have laid yet - they are now 6.5 months - although I know that all 3 of those breeds are known to take up to 8 months to get going, and with our winter months approaching in the southern hemisphere, I may have to wait until September/October (although we also don’t get such cold and dark weather here, so there might be a slowdown rather than total halt in egg laying over the winter). Can’t wait to see what the other girls come up with!

Ginger seems to alternate between laying two pullet-sized eggs or one large one at the moment 😂 photo quality not the best, but they’re a lovely pastel blue.

I know that pullet eggs are usually smaller, but I’m wondering if she might actually be a bantam cross, given her size? It could also just be stunted growth - I got my girls at 10-12wks old from what turned out to be the equivalent of a chicken puppy mill - I’m new to chicken keeping and acted on a recommendation from the suppliers I got my coop from, which turned out to be a bad one! They arrived undernourished, underweight and full of parasites 😢 they’re happy, shiny, healthy birds now, but Ginger was the smallest of the bunch to start with so it’s possible that she was just extra malnourished to begin with?

She makes up for what she lacks in size in attitude and spicy personality though 😂 Tilly the Minorca is definitely top hen, but Ginger is her lieutenant and also has no problem snatching the tastiest scraps out from under Tilly’s nose when feeding time comes around!

Attachments

• BFFBAC8A-5496-438E-A136-A0A91D819F04.jpeg
    BFFBAC8A-5496-438E-A136-A0A91D819F04.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 0C334184-62C3-44E4-A156-046DB0F6C8E1.jpeg
    0C334184-62C3-44E4-A156-046DB0F6C8E1.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 8DE22687-099E-447C-9351-E6CDFEBE37B3.jpeg
    8DE22687-099E-447C-9351-E6CDFEBE37B3.jpeg
    782.2 KB · Views: 2
First eggs from my 'Araucana' that turned out to be an EE. Very disappointed by the non-blue colour but still proud of my pullet because she is the runt of the bunch, came to me with worms and suffered a case of cocci. Yet her first egg was 46g and second 54g, laid just 1.5days apart with a strong shell. Good girl!
And I suppose if you squint, there's a pinkish hue that could look pinker with an Instagram filter 🤣

20230703_161539.jpg

20230705_103854.jpg

Chiara, my 55 Flowery Hen (hatched 7/10/23) laid the cutest egg on 12/17/23. Over the moon is probably the best description of how I felt. I know I'm not alone here, but not many of my friends keep chickens. It is so great to have a place to share my excitement!!

Attachments

• Chiara.first.EGG.jpeg
    Chiara.first.EGG.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 0
Chiara, my 55 Flowery Hen (hatched 7/10/23) laid the cutest egg on 12/17/23. Over the moon is probably the best description of how I felt. I know I'm not alone here, but not many of my friends keep chickens. It is so great to have a place to share my excitement!!
Congratulations! First eggs are always so exciting! :wee

Back
Top Bottom