Post your parrot pics!

I have a pair of eclectus myself. The good news about eclectus is that if you have a healthy hen, chances are good that she will be very broody. Eclectus are known for being a very broody species. It's usually harder to get them out of the nestbox than it is to get them in there.

But a couple of things to consider if you get eclectus for breeding. There are several different subspecies of eclectus and they all look slightly different. The males of the different sub-types can be hard to tell apart, but I would definitely recommend that you get your birds from someone who has an interest in making sure that they are producing purebreds rather than mixing different species. Otherwise you will be getting "mutt" birds. The most common sub-species in the USA is the Solomon Island Eclectus, but Vosmarie and Red-sided are also not that hard to come by. Personally, I prefer the Solomon Island, but they are the smallest. Some people like the bigger subspecies. Whichever you choose, please take the time to get your birds from a breeder who makes it a point to breed their parrots true.

Another interesting thing about Eclectus is that in the wild, females typically each have a few males "attending to them." In return, the individual males each "visit" more than one nesting female. Females will be so "nest-bound" that they rely upon the males for all their food during the breeding season, so they don't turn down any male offering a free meal in return for, well, <ahem>.

;-)

Hi everyone, new to the forum but not new to birds....my husband raised and bred many breeds of parrots for years but the only one we have now is Patty the African Grey, she is super talkative and has amazing comic timing.

One of mine is in my avatar. :) I have two African grey parrots (one timneh, one congo) and two cockatiels.

Here is our Congo African Grey. She is very talkative and also loves to scream if we do not talk to her when she wants us to.
barnie.gif

Here is our Congo African Grey. She is very talkative and also loves to scream if we do not talk to her when she wants us to.
barnie.gif
When mine screams I walk over and throw the cover on her cage. When she talks nice I leave her uncovered and give her the attention she wants.

When mine screams I walk over and throw the cover on her cage. When she talks nice I leave her uncovered and give her the attention she wants.
Indeed! We do too and or close the double doors. I did not say we obliged her.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom