potential olive eggers?

cariboujaguar

Songster
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Mississippi
The free EE hen who was 'thrown in' as a bonus with my purchased Marans (because she had chicks and the woman didn't want chicks) was bred to a beautiful HUGE black orpington rooster.
I am beyond new to sexing chicks but have done my best to vent sex the 4 chicks and the two who looked to be roosters to me also were the 2 biggest with the most drastic red combs... so I am hoping I have two pullets (and two roos YUM LOL) ! Will they posisbly lay olive eggs??? I'm so excited at the possibility!

Very likely they will... you just never know. Any chance for some photos of said babies?
big_smile.png

I think your chicks will lay blue or green tinted eggs, it's a dominant trait. If you want olive eggers cross to a marans, I think the dark coating they leave on eggs is also dominant, resulting in olive eggs when coated over blue/green.

If the EE hen lays a blue egg, and you cross her with an Orpington, then any pullets from those eggs should lay a green egg.

If the EE hen lays green eggs, and you cross her with an Orpington, then the pullets MIGHT lay a green egg. But, there is a possibility they will lay a brown egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom