Pre-prolapse?

mitsuara

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2023
I went out to see my chickens and my 2 year old wyandotte had laid an egg in the middle of her dust bath area. (not normal) She was standing a few feet away with a little bit of poop under her butt, clearly straining to poop more. When she did, something bright red came out with the poop before going back inside her vent. After this she went about her business as usual. Her vent looks fine now.

I'm just wondering what I should be doing here? I've read through what to do with a prolapsed vent, but nothing's actually sticking out here. Give her calcium? Just keep a close eye on her?

For now, I would just keep an eye on her. She may have had difficulty with that egg, may be a one time thing, or could have a repeat. Does she have access to oyster shell all the time for calcium?

I would keep an eye on her, if she has difficulty again then give a calcium citrate +D(Citracal or generic) to help her pass it. Sometimes it can just be a glitch or a rough, extra large, or odd shaped egg. Or it can be not quite enough calcium or other trace minerals. Or the beginning of a laying/reproductive problem. Look at what you feed also, too many treats can mean they eat less of their feed and don't get enough of the trace nutrients. Heavy (fat) birds also tend to have more issues.

Back
Top Bottom