Pretty sure I know the answer, but... is this EE a Roo?

I am not trying to highjack this thread. I was looking for weird sounds from chicks and I found this. I have 2 chickens from the second hatch that are now 8 weeks old. We thought they were both girls. A few days ago one of them started to change voice, and in the morning it sounds like he has a sore throat or someone is choking him. This morning I managed to record it and I wonder if this is the start of crowing. This happens about 4-5 times in a row and stops. We don't hear this all day. Any other times he still sounds like a baby with peeping sounds. I watched some videos to try to identify their gender and I am sure now they are both boys.
Here is the link to the video with that weird sound, if someone could identify if this is a crowing sound, or the chick is sick? (I hope the link works)
https://www.facebook.com/andrea.sza...920061?notif_t=like&notif_id=1497640170514478

Can you post pics of each each: face, sides, standing, normal clear lighting? I think that one bird may have been trying to crow?

I'm on my second batch of chickies. Last yr started with 8; this yr got 6 more. This is one of my new Easter Eggers. The other one I know is a female. This lovely bird is a good bit larger, but is the same age, approximately 16 weeks old. The comb developed fairly early, and is already pretty much red. The hackle feathers are getting longer and there are some long saddle feathers. I love the coloring on "him." I haven't heard any crowing or signs of him doing so, as yet. I'm hoping he just won't! If he does, I have to re-home him.
View attachment 1041398

View attachment 1041405
View attachment 1041414

View attachment 1041420

View attachment 1041421

So whaddaya guys think?? Rooster??

Here's his sister Lulu on the right:

View attachment 1041478
EE rooster.

I am not trying to highjack this thread. I was looking for weird sounds from chicks and I found this. I have 2 chickens from the second hatch that are now 8 weeks old. We thought they were both girls. A few days ago one of them started to change voice, and in the morning it sounds like he has a sore throat or someone is choking him. This morning I managed to record it and I wonder if this is the start of crowing. This happens about 4-5 times in a row and stops. We don't hear this all day. Any other times he still sounds like a baby with peeping sounds. I watched some videos to try to identify their gender and I am sure now they are both boys.
Here is the link to the video with that weird sound, if someone could identify if this is a crowing sound, or the chick is sick? (I hope the link works)
https://www.facebook.com/andrea.sza...920061?notif_t=like&notif_id=1497640170514478

Wow! EIGHT weeks?? My boy is 16weeks old and I never heard sounds like that til now. And yes, that definitely sounds like your bird is trying to crow!!

As for my Desi, I just made him a "no-crow" collar and will have to wait til this evening to get my husband to help me put it on him. This morning about 7:30 I went out to feed the chickens and he was being so good, not crowing at all. I was proud of him... til I came back in and my son says "Mom! Your rooster was crowing at 6:02 this morning!!" He was already awake, but he was afraid one of the neighbors might've heard him and would not be happy. I hope the collar works.... cuz I'd love to be able to keep him. My husband doesn't want me to re-home him. But I told him if anyone complains and the Town comes to see me... we'll have to re-home all but TWO of them!

Well, sad to say, but we re-homed my boy last night. The no-crow collar didn't work. He still managed to crow his little butt off!! We miss him already tho. He was a sweet bird. The younger girls seem to miss him too. They were hanging out in the coop after breakfast, kinda like they were expecting him to show up. My husband got several videos of him yesterday so we could remember him.

Well, sad to say, but we re-homed my boy last night. The no-crow collar didn't work. He still managed to crow his little butt off!! We miss him already tho. He was a sweet bird. The younger girls seem to miss him too. They were hanging out in the coop after breakfast, kinda like they were expecting him to show up. My husband got several videos of him yesterday so we could remember him.
☹️

im sorry u had to rehome him :( i am in the process of trying to do the same but afraid i wont be able to. i posted about him on facebook groups but afraid i wont get any replies. i dont know where else to do it. im afraid my 3 pullets are going to miss him to, as he is so bonded with them. im glad u took videos of him <3

While it is sad to let them go, in the end he'll be happier in a setting where his crowing does not have to be mechanically suppressed, focusing on it being in his best interest may help soften the blow for you

Back
Top Bottom