PROBIOTICS for you and your chickens

Wow this thread is rolling!
It is so awesome to see so many getting healthy and making their own food !
I went to a doc today to see about the widespread lumpy tendonitis I have...achilles tendons are sore and enlarges, elbow tendons, wrists and now fingers, tight and locking...I am thinking RA.
Anyway he agreed, so off to a rhuematologist for the first time !!!
Wow, anywho, we crused a grocery before the doc appoinment, and I studied the Kefir: Diane's Kefir I believe was the brand, looked yummy:: Real blueberries, my favorite...but says nothing of 'grains' in it. Ingredients only say: 100% whole organic kefir and organic blueberries...so
Is it made with wheat ? If so, it will have gluten in it....
idunno.gif

Hi Chickielady, just went to grocery store and bought some Lifeway Keifer Blueberry says gluten free says it has 10 live active cultures. I've bought this before but didn't remember it saying gluten free. So they do have it for those who can't have gluten.

Quote:
Hi Chickielady

Here is the Kefir Primer so to speak! I am not the total athourity but make a LOT of Kefir Myself! The store bought kefir should not contain any wheat! The grains is kinda a deciving entity so to speak as is has nothing to do with Grain as most think ! The grains are the little popcorn looking cultures that we have when we make kefir! (Hmmmm Lets see the Grains are Milk based bacterial cultures that are used to Make milk kefir http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html#Utensils This site will give you some insight to Kefir and How its made and makeup and just about everything else http://www.kefirlady.com/orderkefirgrains.htm Also this site is a very good information source!!

Kefir is made from using the grains and adding them to whole milk of some kind (I think Ginny uses 2% milk and it works OK) Letting culture for 24 hours straining and then reaping your rewards 42 different probiotics and yeast cultures!! The store bought only has about 10 probiotics in it! If it looks like it is something you would like PM me and we will talk before you order from someone else!!

Ernie

Quote:
Ginny - I am in Cedar Grove, NC (right next door) and I have been lurking on this thread. I just ordered some kefir grains from the kefirlady - should have them next week. I was thinking of starting out using the local Mapleview Farms milk, but would be willing to try some raw milk if you find a source.

Horray for meeting a neighbor!!! I actually live in cedar grove now! On efland cedar grove road. We're renovating an old farm house in hurdle mills. Too bad you already ordered some grains, I would have been glad to share.

I've been using maple view's milk so far with success. I am keeping an eye out for raw, though. I will let you know if I find any.

PS - I'll take being called Ginny as a compliment
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Chickielady

Here is the Kefir Primer so to speak! I am not the total athourity but make a LOT of Kefir Myself! The store bought kefir should not contain any wheat! The grains is kinda a deciving entity so to speak as is has nothing to do with Grain as most think ! The grains are the little popcorn looking cultures that we have when we make kefir! (Hmmmm Lets see the Grains are Milk based bacterial cultures that are used to Make milk kefir http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html#Utensils This site will give you some insight to Kefir and How its made and makeup and just about everything else http://www.kefirlady.com/orderkefirgrains.htm Also this site is a very good information source!!

Kefir is made from using the grains and adding them to whole milk of some kind (I think Ginny uses 2% milk and it works OK) Letting culture for 24 hours straining and then reaping your rewards 42 different probiotics and yeast cultures!! The store bought only has about 10 probiotics in it! If it looks like it is something you would like PM me and we will talk before you order from someone else!!

Ernie

Thankyou so much !!!
As you can expect when I see "grains" I freeze !!!
It is nice that some food producers are finally posting the exact contents of the foods they make, since the FDA made it law, what...20 years ago ?????
I will do kefir then, and study it's processes, it may be OK for me and it may not.
I have come to the intelligent realization that "I" am merely hitching a ride on this 'body'...and I have no idea when or where it may break out in scalding raises or bloat to 16 months pregnant.
I am now after some good essential oils for my chakras...thanks all for your help and time explaining!!!!

Quote:
Hi Chickielady

Here is the Kefir Primer so to speak! I am not the total athourity but make a LOT of Kefir Myself! The store bought kefir should not contain any wheat! The grains is kinda a deciving entity so to speak as is has nothing to do with Grain as most think ! The grains are the little popcorn looking cultures that we have when we make kefir! (Hmmmm Lets see the Grains are Milk based bacterial cultures that are used to Make milk kefir http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html#Utensils This site will give you some insight to Kefir and How its made and makeup and just about everything else http://www.kefirlady.com/
orderkefirgrains.htm
Also this site is a very good information source!!

Kefir is made from using the grains and adding them to whole milk of some kind (I think Ginny uses 2% milk and it works OK) Letting culture for 24 hours straining and then reaping your rewards 42 different probiotics and yeast cultures!! The store bought only has about 10 probiotics in it! If it looks like it is something you would like PM me and we will talk before you order from someone else!

Ernie

Thankyou so much !!!
It is nice that some food producers are finally posting
the exact contents of the foods they make, since the FDA made it law, what...20 years ago ?????
I will do kefir then, and study it's processes, it may be OK for me and it may not.
I have come to the intelligent realization that "I" am merely hitching a ride on this 'body'...and I have no idea when or where it may break out in scalding raises or bloat to 16 months pregnant.
I am now after some good essential oils for my chakras...thanks all for your help and time explaining!!!!

Check out young living essential oils, they are phenomenal!

Quote:
Chickie,
the word grain when talking about kefir doesn't have anything to do with a cereal grain, like wheat, barley or spelt. It is the word given to the cauliflower like lump that cultures the milk and turns milk into kefir. Kefir should be wheat (gluten) free. I would stick to plain and add fruit at home in case the company added flour as a thickener. I don't think they would,,,, but you never know. You know,if you can get the allergens out of your diet, the RA may calm down. Just my opinion. Store bought is more expensive than homemade, but it is a good thing to try.
good luck,
Ginny

Quote:
Ginny - I am in Cedar Grove, NC (right next door) and I have been lurking on this thread. I just ordered some kefir grains from the kefirlady - should have them next week. I was thinking of starting out using the local Mapleview Farms milk, but would be willing to try some raw milk if you find a source.

Horray for meeting a neighbor!!! I actually live in cedar grove now! On efland cedar grove road. We're renovating an old farm house in hurdle mills. Too bad you already ordered some grains, I would have been glad to share.

I've been using maple view's milk so far with success. I am keeping an eye out for raw, though. I will let you know if I find any.

PS - I'll take being called Ginny as a compliment
big_smile.png

big_smile.png

Quote:
Thankyou so much !!!
It is nice that some food producers are finally posting
the exact contents of the foods they make, since the FDA made it law, what...20 years ago ?????

Check out young living essential oils, they are phenomenal!

Young living essential oils are expensive ,but they are worth it. You will only need a drop on each chakra.

And yes 2% works fine!

Back
Top Bottom