PRODUCTION Toulouse Geese Thread!!

It´s going to be a little less during broody time, as their eggs become the most precious thing to them.  However, my 3 imprinted geese let me put my hand in to check eggs, help myself to goslings, etc, and as long as I spend a lot of time with them, I can have very tame goslings too.  I´ve found that my goslings, even with parents that are nervous, don´t follow the lead of the parents for long.  They soon learn that I´m nice and give food, and they come to me, parents hissing in the background, and woof down their feed.  
so, no reason you shouldn´t be able to have tame goslings, whether you have nervous parents that hiss and go, or whether your geese are really easy to handle.  all down to you, really. 
Of course, if you want imprinted goslings, then that´s another matter....  :D  
p.s., not that Im a goose guru, just my experience.

I guess that's the thing. Pear was imprinted on me especially after her sisters died, I was the only one she had and it makes things so much easier. Because shes imprinted or was I can let her out of the pin for hours and she just follows me around the yard and getting Her back in is extremely simple. Pick up- put down. But Kiwi doesn't trust me at all even though the farm he came from had people in-and-out of their pin, I think he was hatched by his real goose parents. I don't really PLAN on selling but my grandma has a farm and would want a few to go on her little pond, I would want them to be people-friendly like Pear.
I also have a feeling im going go have a lot of trouble with Kiwi come Spring.

If you planning on hatching to sell the goslings then incubation would probably be the way to go so the goslings imprint on you then they will be people friendly. Letting the parents do it will mean the gosling will imprint on them and most goose parents will not let us have hands on time with their babies, and then it can depend on the breed of geese too, I don't breed to sell so having the ability to just get close with out feeling I have to be picking up the gossies to hug is okay with me, although I loved being able to do that with Toots and Babe, there even comes a time when they will be happier if we're hands off ,just goose nature.  Adult geese are very protective of their babies and even perceive us as a threat, So when time comes for mating, nesting and hatching it's best to let it be as natural as possible with them, expect them to be protective to the point of aggressive but to realize this is a natural part of being geese. I have to remind Sam daily that I am not out to hurt his goose family and he does understand that I am pretty sure but the act of protection with him is most important in his life  I'm just not going to let him intimidate me or bite me. Just remember  when breeding season gets into full swing we will see a different personality in our geese towards any one or thing they thinks is a threat. including us.
When Missy was sitting I did go into their house daily and scoop out the poop, I would gently pick her up and sit her out side, she'd snap out of her trance and begin eating and walking around, gave me time to clean and look at the eggs to make sure none were starting to rot or candle if need be. Then she'd go right back to her nest and settle back down. Sometimes Sam would be in there with her so I'd have to make him leave first to keep from being bitten. Sam was hatched here so I do beleive he knows I am okay but his desire to protect makes him who he is and makes him an excellent papa. Missy has never acted aggressive towards me at all. But i think if i ever had shown any aggression towards her adopted babies she may have, Not sure because I would never do that. I would go outside after I gave my 2 to Sam and Missy and sit with them and the 2 babies would come over and talk to me and nibble on me and Missy would stand in awe like goodness I wonder why they are doing that. I wish she felt that comfortable with me.

I'm with livin i am not a goose guru by any stretch of the imagination just going by what I have learned here. 

Ms Lydia when I first joined this site I thought you were a magical goose-master and when you replied I felt blessed! Still think so! Same with you Livin.

p.s., not that Im a goose guru, just my experience.

I'm with livin i am not a goose guru by any stretch of the imagination just going by what I have learned here.
From Wikipedia...GURU: "is a Sanskrit term for "teacher" ... experiential wisdom transmitted from teacher to student"

Miss Lydia, livininbrazil, servpolice, and many others on BYC are the perfect examples of a true Guru and we, your "students" can not begin to express our appreciation for all the help, guidance and humor that you have shared (and continue to share) with us.

So...thank you Oh Wise and Powerful...
bow.gif
old.gif

From Wikipedia...GURU: "is a Sanskrit term for "teacher" ... experiential wisdom transmitted from teacher to student"

Miss Lydia, livininbrazil, servpolice, and many others on BYC are the perfect examples of a true Guru and we, your "students" can not begin to express our appreciation for all the help, guidance and humor that you have shared (and continue to share) with us.

bow.gif
old.gif

Such a nice compliment thank you.
smile.png

Ms Lydia when I first joined this site I thought you were a magical goose-master and when you replied I felt blessed! Still think so! Same with you Livin.
Not hardly C. but thank you for the compliment. What is really cool is seeing you 2 [jtn and you along with others] doing so well with your geese and flocks.
thumbsup.gif
and sharing your experience with others.

I guess that's the thing. Pear was imprinted on me especially after her sisters died, I was the only one she had and it makes things so much easier. Because shes imprinted or was I can let her out of the pin for hours and she just follows me around the yard and getting Her back in is extremely simple. Pick up- put down. But Kiwi doesn't trust me at all even though the farm he came from had people in-and-out of their pin, I think he was hatched by his real goose parents. I don't really PLAN on selling but my grandma has a farm and would want a few to go on her little pond, I would want them to be people-friendly like Pear.
What kind of trouble? just typical gander trouble? That would be nice if Grandma could have a few.

Like I said, I bought some that were not used to people, they had goslings and the goslings became really tame. Those same goslings have grown and had their own, and they´re really quite easy to deal with. I can pick them up as and when I want, both the adults and the goslings. all goose-reared. As MLyd says, maybe it has to do with the breed (although mine are also mixed-breed, so maybe not just that) but it has a lot to do with your ealtionship with your geese and how much time you spend with them, etc. At the moment I can hardly get in through the gate, as there are, aside from the ducks and chickens, around 40 geese of different ages all waiting for me, and I can just go and pick up any one of them with the exception of the 4 that I bought as adults and have never quite got to trust people that much. They´ve not passed the suspicion on to their youngsters. that´s not bad going.

bow.gif
old.gif
U funny.

Back
Top Bottom