Pullet or Cockrel???

NatalieFish

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2023
Hi All,
I am fairly new to having backyard chickens. I got 7 baby Wyandotte chicks about 10 weeks ago (May 13th). The store said that they were all hens; however, this little one has always been a bit different from the others. It was and still is the smallest of the flock and has a different comb than the others. I read that sometimes they have a single comb.
Is anyone able to tell me if this is a pullet or a cockrel, or if it's a different breed?

Thanks so much,
1689646368603.png

Silly question, but what gives it away? I am trying to convince my husband that a rooster isn't a bad thing to have around... but he doesn't want fertilized eggs. =( He's a sweet bird, so I'd hate to have to get rid of him =(
When a chick develops big comb and or wattles at a young age it is almost always a cockerel. When he will start crowing really depends. Some like to start very early at 6-10 weeks old, others start at 16-20 weeks, and some may not crow until long after 20 weeks.

Why doesn't he want fertilized eggs? They're the same as non fertilized eggs unless you start incubating them.

Usually pullets combs and wattles will stay small and pink leading up to Point of lay. Point of lay 18-24 weeks of age. Sometimes it takes longer depending on breed. So, if you see a chick developing a red comb and wattle at a young age, it’s usually a cockerel. Hope this helps he’s a cutie!

When a chick develops big comb and or wattles at a young age it is almost always a cockerel. When he will start crowing really depends. Some like to start very early at 6-10 weeks old, others start at 16-20 weeks, and some may not crow until long after 20 weeks.

Why doesn't he want fertilized eggs? They're the same as non fertilized eggs unless you start incubating them.
I think he doesn't want them just incase they end up with a baby chick inside (if I forget to get the eggs right away).
I also looked it up, and I am not allowed to have a rooster in my city =( So, now I have to find a way to re-home him.

Also worth noting, roosters are almost always quite personable and friendly until the hormones come a knocking... commonly when they're young they'll be the first to run up to you when you open the run door or coop...they'll also be the first to "scratch" you... Re-homing is often a good idea, regardless of where one lives if they don't have the space or interest in learning to manage. Often the younger they're re-homed, the better if they're to have a chance beyond the dinner plate (which is also not the wrong answer)

Single comb Gold Laced Wyandotte cockerel.
Silly question, but what gives it away? I am trying to convince my husband that a rooster isn't a bad thing to have around... but he doesn't want fertilized eggs. =( He's a sweet bird, so I'd hate to have to get rid of him =(

Usually pullets combs and wattles will stay small and pink leading up to Point of lay. Point of lay 18-24 weeks of age. Sometimes it takes longer depending on breed. So, if you see a chick developing a red comb and wattle at a young age, it’s usually a cockerel. Hope this helps he’s a cutie!
Thank you! I will keep an eye on it for a few more weeks. When do they begin crowing?

Depends on the bird I had a cockerel that’s didn’t crow until 4 and a half months and I had one that started at 10 weeks. If you have multiple cockerels the alpha usually will crow first and any beta ones might wait a while before making a peep.

Back
Top Bottom