Quailberries

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Southern WI
My four EE pullets are showing signs of POL- squatting, rapid comb growth, egg laying song practice, it's all there. I was told they wouldn't lay until spring because of the lack of sunlight, and while I can be patient for the eggs, I REALLY can't wait for the egg laying ballad rehearsals to end. They sing it twice every hour, and it's getting really annoying. I was told they practice until the day they actually lay, where they then just squawk it in the mornings. Am I really going to have to listen to them for 4 months or is there a way for me to get them to quiet down? Will they eventually just quiet down themselves? Thanks in advance, you guys are always super helpful.

My four EE pullets are showing signs of POL- squatting, rapid comb growth, egg laying song practice, it's all there. I was told they wouldn't lay until spring because of the lack of sunlight, and while I can be patient for the eggs, I REALLY can't wait for the egg laying ballad rehearsals to end. They sing it twice every hour, and it's getting really annoying. I was told they practice until the day they actually lay, where they then just squawk it in the mornings. Am I really going to have to listen to them for 4 months or is there a way for me to get them to quiet down? Will they eventually just quiet down themselves? Thanks in advance, you guys are always super helpful.

Hopefully they will begin to lay and quiet down to a degree! Hens can be much louder and for a more extended time than roosters! I have two very vocal hens that begin to sing and get the rest of the girls involved, so it turns into a choir! This usually happens only a couple of times per day. Unless these two gals get excited over their egg it's a pretty quiet flock. My Rooster, Harvey, rarely crows, he's much quieter than the hens. I think they will quiet down when they begin to lay and get into a daily routine. This may take a few months, but I'm sure it will happen. Yes, they can begin to lay in winter, so have hope! :hugs

it's getting really annoying.
It is annoying, just be glad it's winter and you can keep the house windows closed.
I had one group of 10 pullets that made such a raucous cacophony that I had to close the windows so I could work over the phone.

It is one of the signs of impending POL....how old are your pullets in weeks?

I have to admit, prolonged "egg-song" make me go crazy... Some individuals and breeds are more vocal than others. Hopefully in your case, it's just a test-phase and they'll settle down when they start laying.
Yummy treats can make them stop temporarily, but when their bellies are full, they'll most likely start again :th

Back
Top Bottom