purple eggs???

Pics
This looks like an awesome project! Although i have to ask, are we just trying for purple eggs or for a new stable breed? if so please let me know because i really want a purple egg layer!

I'm trying I guess for a new breed. I want a dual purpose bird. Basically right now, they are just considered Easter Eggers, which is fine and there are a lot of people who love those, so the ones who don't lay them are easily sold. I'd like to find way to distinguish them from other layers, so another breed would be fun to try. I just sent birds with someone who will be working with me. Actually there are 2 of them, but the person from Oregon picked them all up and dropped some of in Utah. Hopefully we'll see some lavender eggs when they start laying. We'll see. In the meantime, it's fun to see what they'll do, but the wait is awful! LOL

I'm glad you're getting into chickens. They're fun birds and they keep me laughing sometimes. Not sure why you started, but look into 4H or FFA if you haven't already.

I'm trying I guess for a new breed. I want a dual purpose bird. Basically right now, they are just considered Easter Eggers, which is fine and there are a lot of people who love those, so the ones who don't lay them are easily sold. I'd like to find  way to distinguish them from other layers, so another breed would be fun to try. I just sent birds with someone who will be working with me. Actually there are 2 of them, but the person from Oregon picked them all up and dropped some of in Utah. Hopefully we'll see some lavender eggs when they start laying. We'll see. In the meantime, it's fun to see what they'll do, but the wait is awful! LOL

I'm glad you're getting into chickens. They're fun birds and they keep me laughing sometimes. Not sure why you started,  but look into 4H or FFA if you haven't already. 

Great news wolftracks! :bow
So glad you have someone (2 actually) to help you get this going well. Wish I had room and breeding experience to help too...
:/ DH has made it clear...not building anymore pens...but for purple eggs...
(I think he'd "see the light", err....purple light!) :drool
Please send updates as you can, love to hear how it's working out with ya'll! Chirp :highfive:

Last edited:
I'm trying I guess for a new breed. I want a dual purpose bird. Basically right now, they are just considered Easter Eggers, which is fine and there are a lot of people who love those, so the ones who don't lay them are easily sold. I'd like to find way to distinguish them from other layers, so another breed would be fun to try. I just sent birds with someone who will be working with me. Actually there are 2 of them, but the person from Oregon picked them all up and dropped some of in Utah. Hopefully we'll see some lavender eggs when they start laying. We'll see. In the meantime, it's fun to see what they'll do, but the wait is awful! LOL

I'm glad you're getting into chickens. They're fun birds and they keep me laughing sometimes. Not sure why you started, but look into 4H or FFA if you haven't already.
I've tried getting into FFA but we don't have a chapter at my school :( Haven't tried 4h yet but thanks for the info :) Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

This is a cool project. Wolftracks, I hope you can get a stable line of purple eggers!

Last edited:
I had someone come and get most of the project birds. Some went to Oregon and some to Utah. Haven't heard back to see if any are laying and what colors. I'm still waiting for first eggs around here. So far I've seen nothing but brown or pink or white. Waiting for the blues and hoping for more lavender. I don't have the space to keep as many birds as I need to get those eggs, but I haven't given up, just got some help.

Here is a picture of the purple ( lavender)

Back
Top Bottom