purple eggs???

Pics
Yes those are real tinamou eggs. They aren't just colorful, they really are that shiny too! Elegant cresteds lay the green eggs, greats lay blue, and you can get Chileans that lay blackish eggs (not pictured). Curve-bills and I think one or two others lay pink eggs (also not pictured), but I have never seen them available in captivity. Those are my personal favorite four egg colors. They are great little birds too. They do well on ratite pellets with some enrichment foods, and can tame down very well. They are expensive though, and hard to find. I wish they would become a more popular alternatively poultry. Oh...but they do need to eat poop from the adults if you artificially incubate them! X) It helps them establish proper gut bacteria.

Yes those are real tinamou eggs. They aren't just colorful, they really are that shiny too! Elegant cresteds lay the green eggs, greats lay blue, and you can get Chileans that lay blackish eggs (not pictured). Curve-bills and I think one or two others lay pink eggs (also not pictured), but I have never seen them available in captivity. Those are my personal favorite four egg colors. They are great little birds too. They do well on ratite pellets with some enrichment foods, and can tame down very well. They are expensive though, and hard to find. I wish they would become a more popular alternatively poultry. Oh...but they do need to eat poop from the adults if you artificially incubate them! X) It helps them establish proper gut bacteria.

I had to read up a little on them too after I saw those eggs. I haven't retained anything though. LOL

Does someone have the available here? I guess they would be raised as gamebirds?

I had to read up a little on them too after I saw those eggs. I haven't retained anything though. LOL

Does someone have the available here? I guess they would be raised as gamebirds?

They are game birds, truthfully I didn't know much about them until I found this thread and looked more into them and their eggs. If I happen to stumble on some here or another page I will let you know
big_smile.png

I also found this on my Ventures of looking into the birds
http://www.gbwf.org/hoagba/tinamou.html

Last edited:
You can try some of the people mentioned on this (old/outdated/no longer updated) thread to see if they still have tinamou or know someone who does:
http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4518&sid=950af31c8cc073e70bc0fde6b948963b
Softbillsforsale may have some occasionally, but definitely not often. I would search the forums here too as someone had contact with someone breeding chileans. Do not post a wanted ad on there...all I've ever gotten were obvious scam replies.
The elegant-crested tinamou we had at the aviary had two common problems. 1. They are prone to stress. They fly straight up when frightened and can scalp themselves, but we also had some simply die from shock/stress, like rabbits will. One night, we lost two birds simply because a predator had been snooping around their cage. That fright was enough to kill them. 2. They are not cold hardy. I can't remember the exact lock in temperatures we had for them, but you have to actively lock them in when temperatures drop. They are not genius birds by any mean, so won't go in on their own.

You'll probably have to do a lot of digging to find anyone raising them. They are pretty in private collections!

Back
Top Bottom