PVC pipe feeder

Ok here's mine...4 inch pipe...I cut a 5 foot section into a two foot and a three foot piece. I put a cap on each end and connected them with a 90 degree elbow. I didn't ghillie any of it together just in case I need to take it apart for some reason. I used a 2 1/4 inch hole saw to make the feed holes. I hope the girls like it.
81976_img_20110417_114805.jpg

These ideas are all genius! I think I am going to try the 4" pipe, with the 4 to 2 reducer, and screw on the bottoms I already have from my quart size feeders. We have 10 chicks, and two quart size feeders and waterers, and I am constantly refilling them all day long! Has Anybody made one of these with the watering base from one of the quart sized waterers?? Would like to make life a little bit easier for my future chick-sitters when I am on vacation.

Mine is nearly identical to Ddmiddle's. It never flowed as well as I wanted when I hung it verticle, so I moved the storage pipe towards the diagonal and it works fine. I think the same thing might be accomplished by using a 60 degree elbow instead of the 90.
Privacy.jpg

Quote:
Schroeder how long is the bottom pipe with the holes? I made one and the bottom pipe is 4 foot and I have tilted it some and still can't get feed to slide down. I might have to try the 60 degree elbow out!!!

Someone asked about waterers... that got me thinking. (Hubby just said 'uh oh, i'm in trouble now...' LOL)

I haven't made it yet, but have figured out the logistics (I think...) the waterer that is.

What the plan is...
use 3" or 4" pipe, with a screw on cap at the top, and either 2 - 90 degree fittings or one U shaped fitting, and a fitting to receive a screw on cap. **glue everything securely except the screw caps** you don't want it leaking!

then when you're filling it, cap it at the bottom. take off the top cap, fill with a hose. screw top cap back on, and take the one off the bottom. this way it's gravity fed, but relies on vacuum to keep from dumping it all out the bottom. then when the water level gets low, air will go back up the pipe and allow a bit more water out.

it's a similar concept to some parakeet/finch waterers i've had, but the trick here will be to keep shavings/food/etc from getting in and fouling the water supply further up the tube.

for more birds I guess you could also do a horizontal run similar to some of the feeders, but you would probably have to use a Y instead of U for the bend, and filling it would be a pain unless you found/made plugs for the holes to drink out of...

here's my idea roughly... but it's lacking the screw-on caps. sorry my image capabilities are a bit limited
wink.png

88409_pvc_water.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That is very creative! I am not a fan of nipple waterers and am intrigued by this concept using PVC.

Please tell your hubby at least one of us on this forum is breathlessly awaiting pix of the finished product!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I had to do the same thing... if you want the vertical pipe straight up, use a 60° connector to get an angle on the lower feeding part. One thing that I've noticed, when filling an empty tube, start slowly otherwise the feed just shoots out the hole(s) at the bottom.
smile.png

Quote:
i'm really interested in the one on the right. I've seen something that another member was working on but hadn't actually made. I've used the J waterer but it just didn't seem to hold enough water to last a day. I want to build something with a 4inch pipe reduced down to a 2 inch pipe.

This is the one I was referring to: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=492387&p=1 Irish Clucks picture half way down

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom