PVC pipe feeder

Sorry I cant seem to rotate the image.

49568__2pp4290.jpg

I used a jigsaw, and used 3in PVC
smile.png

First, thanks for all the inspiration! I've bought my materials (3" pvc w/ caps and a 45 degree elbow) to build a feeder for my three 21 week old hens.

But now I'm wondering what the best way to cut holes into PVC pipe would be. Any recommendations for the best tool and technique for cutting holes?

Love this thread. Thanks for the info. My hubby is going to make one this week. He said he was going to cut the holes out with a circle saw drill bit that fits in his drill. You can find them in the tool dept. in most places. Even Wal mart.

you can use a 4" to 2" reducer then attach one of those
screw on mason jar feeders for chicks. It fits perfectly into
the 2" pvc end.

I have used this for chicks, ducks, even young rabbits.
Works fantastic!

17846_img_0050.jpg

I also cut a hole into the tin roof to run the pvc through.
Just seal with silicone and put on a cap (no glue!).

17846_img_0056.jpg

Quote:
OOH thank you so much for this idea! I will definetly be showing this to my husband! We plan on getting some chicks this fall and somthing like this would come in might handy! Thank you! This is why I love this forum-so many ideas and information!

Quote:
OMG!

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
celebrate.gif

you are great!
Combining the 4 to 2 reducer to the feeder is absolute genuis (sp?) I like this idea so much better than using the pipe with cut outs, because my girls not only bill out feed, but love to scratch out feed as well ! I could just imagine them standing on the pipe, scratching out feed to their hearts content!
roll.png

Thank you all so very much. This is the best place in the world for chicken lovers to excel in their endeavors (sp?)!

Quote:
I love your minifeeder Cyrixlord!!!! I have a very limited amount of space so trying to figure out if I can run the pipe down the outside of the hardware cloth, then cut a hole for the elbow and have the feeder on the inside?? Or would that compromise the integrity of the cloth by cutting a hole and weaken it or make too easy for a raccoon to rip in??
58644_img_3325.jpg

I'm thinking of putting the pipe down the back left outside rail opposite the nest box, then running the feeder part along the front rail. I want to put some kind of handles on the outer sides so I can't run the pipe down the front or the back.

Also the 3-4" looked huge, I'm limited to 2 chickens so we got a section of 2" PVC. hope it is not too small and ends up clogging...

Quote:
I thought I had the same problem of not having feed flowing properly, then I saw my Leghorn's head disappear halfway up the pipe and she scraped out enough food for everyone
big_smile.png
It was super adorable

Back
Top Bottom