Quail for meat?

This thread keeps making me hungry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

I have purchased 4 quail for this very reason....to find out if I like it or not.

However, I bought bobs b/c they are supose to taste better than the others.....why taste the hamburger if you want to find out if beef is your meat...start with prime rib!

Quote:
Would that not depend on a persons taste? Most people I have talked to say they prefer a Cornish X Rock for a chicken but I normally prefer anything but myself & as a kid I preferred hamburger over steak. I have only ate Coturnix that I know what kind of quail it was(I have ate some birds from a fenced in hunt that I didn't care for the taste) so I can't give a preference there. You should try a few if possible & decide which you like best.

I know of a few on here that prefer the skin on there quail & while I think this is the best way to roast a chicken I don't like Coturnix this way at all.

Quote:
Has anyone seen the Japanese Iron Chef on Quail?

http://www.ironcheffans.info/episodes/1994/IC246.avi

I love the opening. They say in regards to taste "Quail is the virgin, and Duck is the mature woman"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/fo...il-is-the-virgin-duck-is-the-mature-woman.jpg

never thought of it in those terms but quiet the apt description
smile.png

kina funny but the skin on bobs I like just like crispy chicken skin I like, but coturnix I skin them it is only a minute or so to clean them doing it this way

I was interested in raising some for meat also...does anyone know of any threads on the basic how-to? I saw a million and one threads, and finally saw that this one had "meat" in the title.
I should have been more specific - how to raise them. I am sure I know how to butcher.

Last edited:
Look up in the top stickies, to get started. Then come back for specifics on other threads or ask. Follow along with a hatch and see what fun your in for. There is a ton of information spread out here and we have fun along the way.
welcome-byc.gif
to the quail section.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom