Question about buying turkeys

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
My husband loves turkeys and I was wanting to get him a couple of Royal Palm Turkeys. My question is does a turkey need to be part of a flock like chickens do? I've only seen them sold as a straight run but was really hoping to be able to buy a tom and a hen. Any info would be great...thanks!

They prefer to be in flocks, but they have different grouping behaviors than chickens. Left to their own devices, with the exception of mating season, males of different ages form a separate group from the hens. The hens and younger birds, including juvenile males, will hang together.

For the few that you want, they'll be okay together. I have one tom and two hens. They don't necessarily "flock", but have their territory in the backyard that they share with some chickens. They mingle around and are aware of each other's presence, but don't stick close to each other like chickens do. They do roost together at night, though.

Stacey

ive got 8 turkeys 5 toms an 3 hens .an they all run with my hens.an they do fine with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom