Question on RIR genders with pics

vbdeleon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
We have 5 chicks. 1 is considerably smaller than the others, her comb is smaller and still yellow; the other 4 have pink to red combs. Also the 4 are all feathering the same, almost completely feathered, while the small one is still fuzzy. The legs of the four are all think,while the small one has danty legs. Also the larger ones have more pointed heads and faces while the small one is more rounded. They all looked exactly alike when we got them, so I know that they are all RIR (and I have posted pics to make sure and was confirmed in that). Am I save in guessing that the 4 are roos and the 1 small one is a pullet?
sad.png
Any input would be helpful. Thanks:)

Last edited:
Ok finally got pictures of the little guys. Really the 4 larger ones all look exactly alike so I took a picture of two of them, and then one of the one we r pretty sure is a girl. Thanks for your input.
37672_100_0518.jpg

37672_100_0520.jpg

37672_100_0525.jpg

This is one we think is a girl
37672_100_0528.jpg

Is it possible that the last one is younger than the others?
She doesn't look as fully feathered as the others and I thought girls feathered in more quickly . . . . .

Quote:
She is the same age as the others, we got them all at the same time. I had read that the girls featheres more quickly as well.

I may be wrong...but arent those the start of hackle feathers on the last one everybody is certain is the only girl? I have no experience w/RIRs but I do know roos are the ones that have the hackles, and tend to feather slower than pullets. I would say that last one is a roo.

Quote:
She is the same age as the others, we got them all at the same time. I had read that the girls featheres more quickly as well.

The girls DO feather more quickly. So why would you think the 4 with more feathers are the BOYS? Is it unimaginable the one that has LESS feathers is the BOY?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom