Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
Hello fellow rabbit enthusiasts! I am a youth Holland Lop breeder with a small rabbitry of about 15 holes at the moment (most are empty though). I cannot express at all how much I love my rabbits and enjoy working with them. Excited to join in the discussion here on BYC!

Hello fellow rabbit enthusiasts! I am a youth Holland Lop breeder with a small rabbitry of about 15 holes at the moment (most are empty though). I cannot express at all how much I love my rabbits and enjoy working with them. Excited to join in the discussion here on BYC!
welcome

Awesome! Welcome! Us crazy rabbit lovers love other rabbits! Please post pics of your honey bunnies :)
Here are mine! :)

This is my "chihuahua" (just because I walk her on a leash does not make her a dog
1f60f.png
)
SpitFire, "Spitty"
She is my favorite rabbit, and even though she is the most energetic breed. (That's why she wears a leash and is walked) she is a former show rabbit, and almost 2 yrs in June
she is a Black American Tan

Sprinkles, the loaf of bread. She is a Holland Lop baby, 3 mo, and she loves cuddles

And finally Delilah (still working on name... May change)
A 3-4 mo old Chocolate Mini Rex

:) I'm taking Spitty to another baseball game tonight

@AxolotlLove - most people just call that breed "Tan," without the "American." The American version is a racier type than it's European counterpart, but it's still recognized simply as a Tan by the ARBA.
wink.png

@AxolotlLove
  - most people just call that breed "Tan," without the "American." The American version is a racier type than it's European counterpart, but it's still recognized simply as a Tan by the ARBA. ;)

I know, but when I say she is a Tan people tell me she is black... ;) so I tell them she is a Black American Tan, so they realize that Tan is a breed, not color.

Thanks for the welcome!

I almost started out with Tans but decided on the Hollands. I know a few Tan breeders though.

Yea, Tans aren't the best starting rabbit, they are REALLY energetic, they need a lot of exercise, that's why I take her to local base ball games a few times a week, to let her get her energy out.

Quote: You'll run into that anyway. I mean, if you had a Silver Fox, I'm sure you'd get people saying "but, it's black," or "but, it's a rabbit," or if you had a Palomino, I'm sure you'd hear "isn't that a horse?"

I'm sorry, but making up names is something that to my thinking just creates more confusion for the uninformed. There was a woman around here that was selling "Netherland Dwarfs" that weighed about 4-5 lbs (and were actually just small mixed breeds, but she didn't seem to know that). When she bought some honest-to-goodness Dwarfs from a breeder, she couldn't understand why they were so much smaller than her other animals, and started selling them as "Mini Dwarfs." This was, oh, gee, something like a dozen years ago, and I still get people asking me if I have "Mini Dwarfs." I am always hard put trying to figure out how to explain that there is no such thing without sounding like a real snot.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I think if you want a true breed and an animal true to type, you have to go to a registered breeder of that breed, otherwise it's a lottery as to what you end up with.

My bunnies are all adopted. One of them is described on her vaccination card as an angora mix (or something like that, one of the soft-coated little bunnies). She's a giant breed rabbit. How any VET could manage to not recognise a giant rabbit is beyond me. I don't know much about rabbit breeds, but as a lay person it's not hard to know that this enormous mega-bunny is not an angora.

If you don't know,I think people should just describe its appearance. Huge grey bunny. Or small black bunny with brown tips or something. When you are saying a breed, you should know what the breeds are. Sometimes people are honestly ignorant, other times they'll throw something in because it's a desirable breed and they want to suck people in.

I'm sorry, but making up names is something that to my thinking just creates more confusion for the uninformed. There was a woman around here that was selling "Netherland Dwarfs" that weighed about 4-5 lbs (and were actually just small mixed breeds, but she didn't seem to know that). When she bought some honest-to-goodness Dwarfs from a breeder, she couldn't understand why they were so much smaller than her other animals, and started selling them as "Mini Dwarfs." This was, oh, gee, something like a dozen years ago, and I still get people asking me if I have "Mini Dwarfs." I am always hard put trying to figure out how to explain that there is no such thing without sounding like a real snot.:idunno

Black American Tan is not a "made up" name. American Tan is the true breed name, and she is a black colored one. There are other color varieties in her breed. I do not make up names for animals.

Back
Top Bottom