Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
Sorry for the delay, had a crazy weekend. I finally got the pics though. And the bunnies having a nap in the carrier. ETA: I must add, they are only in here during the day for now, I am aware it's not very predator proof. I am home all day and we don't have any serious predators so close to the house during the day. My cat also has taken to sleeping on their log all day so that keeps hawks and stuff out too. Until I can secure it properly they are sleeping indoors. I will be getting a 3.3x5' wooden playhouse soon and I'll put hardware cloth over the window, vinyl on the floor, with their food, water, litter box and bed inside and close them in there at night. There is also a wire mesh apron buried around the edge so the can dig out.
Are you planning on covering it? Rabbits are good at climbing fences if they want to.

Are you planning on covering it? Rabbits are good at climbing fences if they want to.

X2

I have a buck in a colony system and he'll climb about 4' high

Thanks for the tip. I did put shade cloth over half of it today because it was gettin a bit warm. But I'm planning on covering it properly as soon as the play house is in, just trying to decide with what. Any suggestions? I'll be sure to keep an eye on them in the mean time, thanks.

Thanks for the tip. I did put shade cloth over half of it today because it was gettin a bit warm. But I'm planning on covering it properly as soon as the play house is in, just trying to decide with what. Any suggestions? I'll be sure to keep an eye on them in the mean time, thanks.
We just built a secure area around my hutches so my bunnies could come out and run around one at a time. We have a roof over the area, and I was a bit nutty after reading how wiley bunnies can be. I would cover it with wire or something solid eventually like a roof, but I tend to overdo stuff.

This is my rabbit Misty.
Breed:New Zealand White
Personality: She isn't all that friendly, she likes to lunge out with her little ferocious looking teeth. Misty loves to be scratched behind her soft fuzzy ears.
Favorite Snack: Cilantro!

What is the typical life span of a bunny?

This is my rabbit Misty. Breed:New Zealand White Age:Four Personality: She isn't all that friendly, she likes to lunge out with her little ferocious looking teeth. Misty loves to be scratched behind her soft fuzzy ears. Favorite Snack: Cilantro! What is the typical life span of a bunny?
I am reading 6-12 years, but no experience yet as I'm a new bunny owner. Yours sounds like a naughty girl.

I am reading 6-12 years, but no experience yet as I'm a new bunny owner. Yours sounds like a naughty girl.
But look at those innocent little eyes!
lau.gif

Quote: And that, "don't even think about trying anything" body language!

Lifespan depends on a lot of things. I've had several bucks that reached 10 to 12 years. Most of my does haven't made it to 6 years; word is that cancer in the reproductive system takes them down (I haven't done necropsies, so I can't say for sure about the cause, but I can confirm the much shorter lifespan). Of course, spaying a doe should significantly increase her life expectancy.

Last edited:
And that, "don't even think about trying anything" body language!

Lifespan depends on a lot of things. I've had several bucks that reached 10 to 12 years. Most of my does haven't made it to 6 years; word is that cancer in the reproductive system takes them down (I haven't done necropsies, so I can't say for sure about the cause, but I can confirm the much shorter lifespan). Of course, spaying a doe should significantly increase her life expectancy.
So do most get sick first, or do they just die one day? There aren't many vets who will see rabbit around here so we will probably need to manage ours like livestock in that department.

Back
Top Bottom