Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
I believe the breed in question is the Dwarf Hotot (pronounced hoe-toe). If you know someone who breeds them, you are ahead of the game; they aren't terribly popular because they are a "marked" breed. When a lot of the points in the breed standard are awarded for the markings, they call that a marked breed; you usually produce an awful lot of unshowable pets for the few that you get with good markings. It takes a lot of patience and persistence to work with a breed like that, so not many do. The Dwarf Hotot has come a long way since I first became aware of them; most are pretty typey and average only slightly larger than the Netherland Dwarfs.

Personality is not guaranteed within a breed. In almost every breed I have worked with, I have had some rabbits that were sweet, and some that were snots. I have a lovely scar on my wrist that was put there by the bite of a Netherland Dwarf buck that was nothing short of vicious; since I raised him, I know what kind of handling he'd had, and it was the same sort of handling as the really sweet rabbits we have also had. Generally, the more handling they get, the more comfortable they are with people, but if you have a rabbit with an obnoxious personality, all the lovin' in the world won't change its basic nature.

Personality is not guaranteed within a breed.
I found that when I got my first dog. I had her from a puppy, and the puppies in her litter all had obviously different personalities. She was "pushy", some of her brothers were really timid and shy.

I don't really understand how people just pick a breed and then "get one". I always pick out my pets on personality rather than appearance. I have to meet them first.

I found that when I got my first dog.  I had her from a puppy, and the puppies in her litter all had obviously different personalities.  She was "pushy", some of her brothers were really timid and shy.  

I don't really understand how people just pick a breed and then "get one".  I always pick out my pets on personality rather than appearance.  I have to meet them first.  

Of course, I went to the breeders, looked at all them, held them, checked their teeth, ect. The Dutch girl, from a a long line of pure bred Dutch (though she is half tort. And half black) just melted my heart. All this 4yr old show rabbit wanted was love. Of course I had to bring her home, the the chinch. Netherland was pretty. The Dutch is by far the sweetest rabbit ever. My mini rex adored her, came right up to her and groomed her. A 4 yr rabbit and a 4 mo rabbit, best of friends ;) the lop likes her too. I haven't come up with a name for her yet, was thinking Alex or Macy.

I'm wondering about showing rabbits.

-Is it better (more profitable) to show meat pen rabbits or breeding rabbits?
-How long before the show do I need to buy the rabbit(s)?
-How do each of those shows work- what happens in the show ring, how many rabbits do you show, what are judges looking for, etc. -What is the best breed(s) to show for each category? I really like holland lops, but am open to any breed- preferably smaller breeds. -About how much does it cost to start up a mini rabbitry?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help, sorry I'm so inexperienced :)

HI could someone please help me with my 3 month old bunny. He has wryly neck. I did a lot of research online and these are some of the meds said it could help cocci medication baytril ivermectin piperzine thank you

Back
Top Bottom