Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters

This guy cast me under his fuzzy spell and then some. Now I'll have to breed Elops to have an endless supply of them. Thanks bud. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
CLucky, we're just in the process of getting started as well...not to sell but just for our own freezer. I'd recommend checking out rabbittalk.com...it's an awesome forum...great people and tons of info! After lots of research we've decided our "meat trio" will be a Silver Fox buck and New Zealand does. It took me a while, but I finally found a place about an hour away that has the SF's, and the NZW's are fairly easily available locally. Check out rabbitbreeders.us They have listings of breeders by state. It's a good place to start looking :)

Your buns are adorable, PP! You sure got a mixed bag of sizes in that litter :)

Your buns are adorable, PP! You sure got a mixed bag of sizes in that litter :)
Yes, sadly, the two small ones were peanuts, I knew it from the moment they were born.
They only survived a couple of days.
Peanuts are something you have to be prepared for when raising dwarf rabbits, but it's still unfortunate.

Poultry power, hey, if you ever want to add another breed to your totally cute collection...English lops are just about the cuddliest bunnies out there. :D

hi, my daughter gave me her 8 month old rabbit and i just picked up a friend for her she is only 3 months old. i read to put them in separate cages so they can see one another for a while before they meet. The older rabbit was very inquisative and stamped her feet, the younger one just sat there. how long do you think i need to leave it before i let them meet face to face?
bun.gif

I have no idea the professional, correct way to do it.
I just let them meet when I'm right there watching them and separate them if they start fighting.
The worst that has ever happened to my rabbits during a fight is one lost a patch of fur.
If you leave them together for a long time, unsupervised, and they fight, they could really hurt each other though.
This is just my opinion, I'm sure other people have had freak accidents and their rabbits have gotten really hurt, but I never really worry about introducing new rabbits.
Rabbits are very social animals and your rabbits are both young.
What gender are they? If they are two males you may run into trouble when they are older.

Two does may or may not get along long-term. I once sold 3 does, two sisters and a similar-age doe from another litter, to someone when the rabbits were about 8 weeks old. I sold them a little buck at the same time. The does were all kept together, the buck of course was kept separate. The buck was a very outgoing sort, and soon had the family wrapped around his paw. The family never really bonded with the does, and a few months later returned them to me. One of the sisters had become rather aggressive with the other two, and was being housed separately. I was told that the other sister and the unrelated doe were the best friends in the whole world, and I had to make sure that when they were re-homed, that they went together. Within a couple weeks of coming back to me, one doe's "best friend in the whole world" took a piece of hide the size of a postage stamp off her backside!

I think it safer to say that some rabbits are social, some aren't. Friendliness and sociability aren't natural behavior in adult wild rabbits, they seem to be traits that we are now breeding into their domesticated relatives. The likeliest pair of friends would be a male/female pair, but that means a whole lot of babies in short order unless both are altered (an unaltered male can be a real nuisance for a single doe, even if she isn't fertile).

Back
Top Bottom