Racoons

herfrds

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Montana
Had something getting into my chicken house. Out of 8 layers I have 2 left.
Re-enforced the door. New latches on it. Set up a game camera and live trap.
Had a group of around 6 coons going around my chicken house trying to get in. Caught 2 with the live trap. Then started to find the trap tripped but nothing in it.
Set the camera up to watch and got see the biggest coon go in, turn around and get the door open and go out.
Well they are now wise to the live trap.
Friend told me to get these hand traps. I got some but how in the heck do you get them set!
Anything can I use?

Had something getting into my chicken house. Out of 8 layers I have 2 left.
Re-enforced the door. New latches on it. Set up a game camera and live trap.
Had a group of around 6 coons going around my chicken house trying to get in. Caught 2 with the live trap. Then started to find the trap tripped but nothing in it.
Set the camera up to watch and got see the biggest coon go in, turn around and get the door open and go out.
Well they are now wise to the live trap.
Friend told me to get these hand traps. I got some but how in the heck do you get them set!
Anything can I use?
I've managed to "live" trap 4 coons since losing one bird but, you're right...they're wise to the trap now. My camera recorded another family of 4 coons, a coyote, and 2 different cats so far. The cats I'll release to the local animal shelter but anything else I manage to catch will not be so fortunate. I also need to try a new trapping method.

Get a better trap. Coons are incredibly strong and can rip apart an average trap. You can try moving your improved trap to another area and also use a different bait than from what you are using now.

Can see where they are clawing on the little house were my new pullets are at for the moment. New chicken house should be here today.
Moved the new trap to a different area.

One time I used extra large glue traps boards in an area that had obvious signs of activity. I put four down in one night and the next morning they were gone. The critter cam got some interesting footage that night. It was a long time before I had any activity in that area again. But on a serious note once you have trap savvy varmits, you'll have to get more serious in predator proofing your coop. Remove all feed at night and varmit proof your feed storage area. Add electric fence wire (use caution if you have kids and pets) and turn the power on at night Contact your local hunt club and see what they can suggest. And remember once you get rid on one family of raccoons another family will take their place so it is very important to fortify your coops.

This may be unpopular, but is killing the coon (by any means necessary) an option? It sure seems it is the only way to keep one from coming back.

The most sure fire method to deter coons is a really hot electric fence wire. Three of these spaced about 4 inches apart should get their attention, if you get a hot enough energizer and lay some metal mesh on the ground so they have to stand on it to try and get in, you will have fried coon. I like the idea of at least 10 joules.

Back
Top Bottom