Raised Beds around Run??

Elhall13

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2023
Cecil County, MD
Hello all!

I am finalizing my girls' run for the season. It is 10'×20' walk-in with a sloped roof (like the cheap ones on amazon, but more predator-proof) I will have a hardware cloth predator apron and then continued up the sides 4.5ish feet. The remainder is "reinforced" chicken wire, including the top of the run (which I know won't keep out a determined fox/raccoon, etc).

I was contemplating adding raised beds along the sides of the run for support, to deter digging, etc. My thought, though, is could they actually hurt my predator-proof efforts by providing a place to stand and be closer to the chicken wire that can be torn through?
The beds I was looking into are 32" high, leaving only 1-2 feet of hardware cloth above where they end.

If the 32" is unwise, would 17" height be the same or different answer?

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!!

Last edited:
Hello all!

I am finalizing my girls' run for the season. It is 10'×20' walk-in with a sloped open roof (like the cheap onea on amazon, but more predator-proof) I will have a hardware cloth predator apron and then continued up the sides 4.5ish feet. The remainder is "reinforced" chicken wire (which I know won't keep out a determined fox/raccoon, etc).

I was contemplating adding raised beds along the sides of the run for support, to deter digging, etc. My thought, though, is could they actually hurt my predator-proof efforts by providing a place to stand and be closer to the chicken wire that can be torn through?
The beds I was looking into are 32" high, leaving only 1-2 feet of hardware cloth above where they end.

If the 32" is unwise, would 17" height be the same or different answer?

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom!!
The best security for any fence is being able to see any attempted breaches. As soon as rocks, logs etc are set at the bottom of a fence you lose that advantage.
I wouldn't put raised beds next to the fence. As you've worked out, they provide a raised platform from which a climbing predator can make an easier jump into the run.

First off, 32" is pretty tall for a raised bed IMO, 24" is more common. Depending on how wide the raised beds are, at 32" tall it would be hard to pick many types of veggies and you'll likely not be able to pick the rear side very well, that's butted against the run; also most veggie plants don't have roots that go that deep and it's kind of a waste of soil.

Anyways, the side protection on the fence only needs to be like 24" tall if it's something like raccoons you're concerned with reaching through fencing. If it's for other larger predators like dogs, go full-height and maybe also use welded wire or chain-link in addition to HC for strength reasons.

Good luck!

The remainder is "reinforced" chicken wire,
Reinforced how?

The beds could just give preds a 'leg up' to get to the chicken wire....and negate the apron, especially if the beds are right against the run wall(which I infer from your "support" comment).

I have a single raised bed behind the run because I use the run fencing to support the peas I grow in there - it provides the chickens with a little bit of a snack and some shade in early summer. It's not nearly as tall as the one you're wanting to use, maybe 16". I have the predator apron under it (because that's where it was before I put the bed in) but I agree it does compromise how the apron works and makes it difficult to maintain, as I have to empty the bed to check on it. That said, it hasn't caused any problems in the 4 years I've had it there, so I have no plans to relocate it either.

The chicken wire is your weakest link. I would advise against doing anything that puts predators closer to reaching it.

If you do decide on a raised bed, I wouldn't go higher than 6 inches.

I agree with the others, I wouldn’t give the nasty beasties a leg up. Also I’m not a fan of the badly named chicken wire. Aim for something stronger hun, these nasties come armed with wire clippers 😉 you need to “out fox them” (English saying, not sure if it translates to others)
Hugz

Back
Top Bottom