Raising feeder insects

Do you think this is how they make the carvings inside the carvings???
lau.gif

Now that's a real piece of artwork!

Your chickens are so well trained .... patient!! Do you keep mental track of who had how many dubias? And, did I hear right that you have a "Nugget" in your flock? I broke down last year and named an EE "Nugget". She's a sweetie!

Now that's a real piece of artwork!

Your chickens are so well trained .... patient!! Do you keep mental track of who had how many dubias? And, did I hear right that you have a "Nugget" in your flock? I broke down last year and named an EE "Nugget". She's a sweetie!
Yes she actually has 3 names I named her Nugget, Gary named her Perch (b/c as a chick she always had to perch on you somewhere) but her new nick name is Thelma (as in Thelma and Louise) b/c her and Yeta are always getting into something!

When I feed out the dubias I really don't need to pay much attention except there are some that don't like to get into the maylay so I try and make sure they get some.

Ok, subscribing. I think it's going to take some convincing of the DH but he's fairly easy. As long as he doesn't have to deal with them it will probably be fine.

How's it going with your freezer Kassaundra? I'd like to see pics of how you got that all set up.
It is still in the works, but I have a deadline of winter looming ahead!
hide.gif
My guess is it will be finished just before
gig.gif

I have moved all my dubias off of egg crates like all the videos show. They work great for small colonies, but found them to be very ineffective for a larger colony. They breakdown a lot under the weight of the dubias and w/ the weakening from the excrement, and hold a lot of unpleasant smell. They are also not easy to get all the dubias off of when you go to replace them or clean your tank.

I have switched to a wire armature (really just a square of old left over fencing that is the same size as my container) then I covered that w/ pieces of denim material (really old free used blue jeans cut up) I just pinned each strip (leg peices) w/ a couple of safety pins one on top and one on bottom. Put as many of these the container as I could fit. The dubias have no trouble at all climbing all over them hiding in the folds etc.... w/ the fence armature they do not break down at all and when I clean the tank they are easy to get all the dubias off, and can toss them in the washer before reataching them.

Back
Top Bottom